View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #205 (permalink)
lmcwilli
Registered Users

I just rebuilt my 450X using the Microheli CF frame. I suppose what prompted me was that the last time I landed hard (a crash where the heli is upright ) the stock Blade frame broke in 7 places. Who knows why I didn't just retire the 450X? Must be sentimental reasons: it has served me consistently and well for many flights.

So, even though I love to fly my Gaui X3 and X5, I dropped $85 for a replacement frame. Here's my first impressions after several test flights.

Overall, I like what Microheli has done with the CF frame. I like: the direct elevator linkage to the swash, the easily adjustable motor mount, non-slipping tail boom attachment to frame, ease of physically setting up electronic components and wiring, and screws into metal not plastic. And, I had no configuration issues getting it to fly well.

However, there is a significant weakness in the lower rear portion of the frame. There is very little structural strength to this part of the frame making it susceptible to damaging forces coming from the rear landing skid point of attachment. In addition, damaging force is not distributed. It's all focused at small connection points on the CF frame. From a strength and crashability perspective, you're not much better off than with the weak little plastic tabs on the stock frame.

Here’s an example. Today, I landed hard because my lipo died. The only damage was: broken landing skids, bent rear aluminum skid support, and a twisted and bent CF frame above the rear aluminum skid support.

I really don't like the structurally weak CF sides in the rear portion of the frame and the fact that force is not distributed. I don't want to have to replace the frame whenever I land hard. That’s why I didn’t like the Blade plastic frame.

Update: Since I originally posted this review, Microheli offered to send me a free replacement for the right frame that was damaged (MH-450X005FR). Clearly, they are a good customer service company.

For a structural strength comparison, I looked at the lower frame support of my other 450-sized heli, a Gaui X3.

On the X3, a rigid lightweight plate runs the entire length of the lower edges of the frame providing structural strength and distributing any impact force coming from the skids.

If I had known what I know now about the structural weakness of the Microheli frame, I wouldn't have bought it.

I would either have replaced the stock $12.75 plastic frame or purchased another Gaui and reused the 450X electronics.

Footnote: I submitted a review of this frame to both the Microheli site's product listing and the heli-nation US distributor site where I purchased the frame. Neither have posted my review. (I'll update this comment if they eventually post it)

Last edited by lmcwilli; 06-06-2014 at 06:06 AM..
lmcwilli is offline        Reply With Quote