View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #107 (permalink)
Xrayted
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgoon View Post
Hi folks,

just registered yesterday and bumped into this thread, very informative!
I have been doing the Clear View Sim for a while and after buying my first real life heli (an Esky 150) I found I am reasonably able to keep a single rotor FBL in the air.
Of course now I'm hooked, like, hopelessly so.

I want to stay with palm sized helis and have no idea which ones are good and which ones are junk.
My Esky 150 has given me a couple of reasons to believe that it is one of the lesser quality helis.
For one thing - when it hovers, it is hanging slanted to one side - this makes it really tricky to yaw it around without completely losing it.
Can that be fixed?

Also - from your experience, what brand and model would you recommend for a good, solid palm-sized FBL that doesn't break my bank? (I know, that's an oxymoron in RC heli flying....LOL...)

Chat soon,
Norm
Welcome to the addiction!

There is nothing wrong with your heli. ALL helis with a tail rotor hover tilted slightly to the side. This is normal physics and called translating tendency. This is because the tail rotor is pushing the heli to left so the heli tilts slightly the opposite direction to maintain its position in hover. You will also notice that you may have to give a little right aileron as you lift up into hover to keep the heli from trying to dart left. This is more pronounced on the tiny helis as they have very little mass, and move more quickly and easily compared to larger models.

I'm not familiar with your particular model, but the most popular micro helis today are the Blade MCPX brushless and the Blade Nano CP. They are both from Horizon Hobby, who is reputable with good customer service, and parts can be found at most local hobby shops. They can also be bound to the higher quality, full featured computer TXs such as the Spektrum DX6, etc which are a requirement once you move up into larger models. Spektrum is also a Horizon product and a very popular brand for both entry level pilots as well as pilots that have been flying large models for years.

The yaw issue another unfortunate problem with the micro helis. The flybar less controllers used in larger models have programming in them called "piro compensation"
This is a software algorithm that helps to keep the heli in position if you were to apply full rudder and spin the heli while in hover. Most micros do not have this, so they tend to dart off once the inertia of yawning them is created. Only practice helps here. In many ways flying the micros is more of a challenge than with larger models.

Larger models are more sophisticated from the programming side, so they have less bad tendencies in flight, and are heavier so they don't get away from you as quickly as the smaller model do, and they are easier to work on.

One word of advice.........don't get caught in the upgrade trap with micros. Use them for what they are....a great learning aid before moving up to bigger. You can easily spend just as much money on a micro upgrading it as a larger model would cost, and they never fly as well as they do stock for the most part, and your will never recover even close to what you invest if you try and sell one, even in perfect condition. A good model such as I listed above along with a high quality simulator program such as Real Flight or Phoenix is all you will need until you are ready for the next step such as a better model and better TX

Good luck!