View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 AM   #113 (permalink)
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
This is your first post on HF. What RC heli experience do you have?

What transmitter do you already have?
What experience with internal combustion engines do you have?

For solo learning from scratch, a nitro is usually not a good option (as there are other options to start with to learn to fly). Once you can fly a basic CP helicopter, then you should start looking for makes and models of nitro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman71 View Post
I don't agree, I learnt with a Nitro and got on fine with it....
2009, more nitro options, less electric options, no FBL, no real micro options. Was Op's first post on helifreak and no mention of experience, simulator, club, field size, budget, etc.. Which is why I said: "For solo learning from scratch, a nitro is usually not a good option".

Nitro needs a minimum size (Gaui NX4 comes to mind). Below that size, nitro is impractical. At the minimum size of nitro, any unscheduled landing is $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman71 View Post
... I should seek out a local RC Heli club and go see them. When I started out there was quite a range of models, especially Nitro powered. There isn't so much around now.

Before doing anything, I should get a good Simulator..preferably one with its own 'radio' and lead. Phoenix is a good Sim, and Realflight. Reflex is another good one, though not sure if its still on the market. A mate of mine had Realflight, which could be set for such things as 'failures' etc really good training feature for real emergencies.

Get good on the Simulator, yeah you can learn to fly without one but you will have enough on your plate just learning to set a real heli up properly. On that note there are one or two books on the subject, might be worth reading?
Agree with all of these. (I do not think Reflex is still on the market).

As you said: "... but you will have enough on your plate just learning to set a real heli up properly". So *IF* the requester is new to flying and does not have help (ie. solo learning), then nitro is probably not a good choice in 2015.