View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
Icanfly
Banned

um, I may be relatively new around this forum but I have a lot of experience in things of the nature which is in the interest of the forum. Now, let's talk bearings for a moment. Upon reading much info in the last 6 topics 2 and 2 together make this more sensible,

Quote:
hybrid / ceramic ball bearings are much more expensive and never lasted long into brushless outrunners into our tests.
why? I don't know.
Everyone knows the price for perfection is high dollars, and because some of the forum members don't want to divulge more info thereby giving away the edge they believe they have in competition, understandable, it isn't impossible to go out and do one's own testing and that would cost time and money, something some guys want other dudes to lay out so they may save from awful mistakes. Ceramic bearings are pricey, where they can be applied is still not 100% definite.

Let's take the motor use example. By mistake I bought hybrids for my little no name 6s 2200kv wind, I'm happy but made a mistake in installing one of them with a little shock force, I hope it isn't broken.

Bearings, no matter what they are made of need for the pair to be perfectly aligned so that there's no radial pressure against any portion of a bearing race in one or more regions of the radius, otherwise wear and failure. Because manufacturers are not worried about a few thou tolerance the stator bearing seats would have to be cnc'd to be perfect to 100.000 thou of an inch, maybe they are maybe not, you still have vibes.

Ceramics' do need a little lube of some kind as well.

In my rewind I spooled the motor up and felt vibration at certain rpm and less with higher rpm. I think due to vibes, heat, imbalances with the magnet can, torque forces on the bearings through the pinion, and maybe a few other details, ceramics in the present configuration of bearings in a motor they will fail in short order.

Not only do I fly but I design things and believe I have an answer to the problem, no, I KNOW I have the solution in my designs. Will I tell you? not right now but when I do you will know it, got $500 for a heli motor, (probably not and that could be a problem).

Any way, this is an interesting forum, not a soap opera stage, any misunderstandings should not derail the op's original intent,

keep cool.
Icanfly is offline        Reply With Quote