View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
ChopperFreak
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whoops! I forgot to post instructions for the No Flight Trim Flight! Hyuck!

First, you need to check your firmware. The reason you need to do this is because you might not be ABLE to access the Trim Flight mode if your firmware is out of date! Stupid, huh? Yeah, I thought so, too. Anyway, to check the version of firmware you have, you would:

1) Initialize your 230S and get it ready to fly.
2) WAIT! STOP! Don't fly it just yet. In fact, hit the "Throttle Hold" switch. This can only be done when your heli is initialized, because you're going to access the heli's computer. Obviously, you don't want to be flying when you're doing this because you'll be looking at you Tx screen.
3) If you're using the newer Spektrum DX6, DX9, DX18, etc., you simply turn the scroll wheel and advance two screens. The screen should have a big "H" and a big "F" on it. Probably some other stuff, too. If you're not using a Spektrum, you'll have to find another way to access this screen.
4) Hold down the Bind button. After a second, the zeros next to the "H" and "F" should change. The "F" is your firmware version. As of this post, the current version is 4.22 or so. If you're less than that, contact Horizon Hobby to find out if you need to upgrade your firmware.

Updating firmware is a WHOLE 'NUTHER pain in the posterior that you will have to navigate. It will require blowing $17-$20 more for a cable. Google "SPMA 3065" to find this cable. After purchasing it, follow the instructions in this video:
Blade 230 s how to update AR636 (5 min 50 sec)

The comments section for the above video will provide the link on the Spektrum website since I had the same problem you will.

Hold on, Turbo. We're not done, yet! After installing the update, you'll have to perform the calibration procedure. The above video explains how to do that properly as well.

If you've done all of this, you probably don't need a trim flight! But just in case you do, there are two methods of performing it:

1) Removing the main and rear rotor blades.
2) Disconnecting the power to the main and rear rotor blades.

I haven't done the second method, so I can't really speak to that. However, here's a link for it:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=726702

If you're going to remove the blades like I did, then here's a little info on that, too:

1) The nuts 'n bolts on the 230S are metric. Get over it.
2) The size of the hex wrench you'll need to remove the screws is 1.5. I don't know what "1.5" means, but that's what my hex wrench set says. The 230S comes with a hex wrench of this size, but it strips faster than a woman in a topless bar. You can get a set at Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot for about US$6. This will also strip easily, so try disconnecting the power to the motors instead and realize that you've suffered enough already.
3) IMPORTANT!!!! The main rotors are each held in place by a nut and bolt. The rear rotors only have one screw holding them in. Each nut and bolt on this heli has had a curse placed on it by a high level wizard that causes it to disappear forever if you drop it. You have been warned.
4) MUCH MORE IMPORTANT!!!!!! You read these instructions before starting, right? Because if you didn't, then you won't remember how to put the blades back on the heli the way they're supposed to go. The main rotors are pretty easy. The rotors turn counter-clockwise if you look at it from above, and the blades are positioned like the wings of a plane (ie: the "thick" side goes INTO the wind.) The rear blades are trickier, because the heli will fly even if they're on backwards!? The rear blades are mounted with the concave side out:
Blade 230 s checking tail blade (2 min 17 sec)

Once your heli is neutered, you can use the level you got for the calibration to level it and proceed with the Trim Flight as outlined in the Advanced Settings Addendum:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...nology-blh1580
ChopperFreak is offline        Reply With Quote