View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
tadawson
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
In order for that to happen, you would need to connect to the pin inside the radio and then route that wire back outside the radio to a bnc connector. The only other way I can think of is to somehow route it inside the module bay and there really isn't room inside the housing even if I were to remove more plastic. Additionally, that pin is not shielded which concerns me as I've seen what happens to ham radios when rf energy gets inside the radio, usually due to a bad ground. For those not aware, it usually resets the microcontroller or just causes it to flake out. I wonder if older radios with module bays were designed with shielding around the antenna pin from the module bay? I'm sure jeti didn't because they never intended there to be a module bay.

A better solution is to install a bnc connector on the module itself with proper shielding and either connect an antenna there or connect a coaxial cable that leads to a remote antenna.

If you are still interested, the standard module bay has the pin installed, just not connected. You can certainly experiment with one however you like.
All the older radios I have seen have a loose lead internal from antenna base to the module socket (or in the case of my Multiplex stuff, from the RM module to the antenna - not a PCB trace, I think that's how they isolate). Likely the signal strength is so low as to not be an issue, unlike the high power HAM stuff . . . I don't recall how you did your module bodies, but my thought was to rework slightly to put more beef in the top for the connector, and add a channel for the lead . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline        Reply With Quote