View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #58 (permalink)
toadiscoil
Registered Users

I understand. However this road has been very bumpy for me. I have had numerous crashes due to mostly setup issues, but a few due to pilot errors. I have been very close to quitting the hobby altogether due to this.

After a particularly bad crash when I was starting FFF I went back to tail-in hover and basically kind of starting all over again. Last Saturday when I did that inverted hover and Rescue'd out of it, that event boosted my confidence significantly as fear of crashing had been my stopper from even spooling up the helis. It did help as I made absolutely sure that my heli was properly setup before attempting getting off the ground.

I see now Rescue as a very good avenue for ramping up. The sim allows you to crash and instantly get a perfectly setup helicopter again. A real life crash involves time, money and the possibility the heli is not the same as it was before the crash after fixing it.

I have been simming a lot and following ArchMageAU's training, hitting hard those upright piros and figure 8's. I started with HeliX and moved on to neXt then I have oddly gone back to HeliX because it feels more difficult and probably closer to reality.

I want to go baby steps and I think that Rescue can help me get there. My idea is to first get the heli to hover hands-off, super stable and locked-in tail with simple rudder 45 degree stops. Then with a Rescue FBL I will start upright circuits and from there who knows. My ultimate goal as to what I see myself possible of doing eventually (might change once I get more proficient, but that is all I can see now) is tail-down, skids-out funnels. That assumes I can FFF, forward circuit, backward circuit, flip, tic-tock, stall turn, 360 turn and hover in all upright orientations. As a cherry in the pie I want nose-in inverted hover only. How long will that take me I don't know.

I also want to stay in the 360/380 class. I have found that to be my perfect size for stability, size, power and crash cost. I want to avoid more micros, the 230 S I think will fit that need perfectly. All I want it for is for backyard quick fix flights. For the field, Rescue enabled 380's is what I plan to use for everything else. If I do get tired of the 230 S the Oxy 3 is the only one I think can fit that gap on my fleet.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate your input and it is a good suggestion, I just think I can have a better progression this way. Rescue allows me to fly more like the sim, with less fear of crashing. I would have to really majorly dumb thumb to crash if I keep my focus on hitting Rescue, like I did with the 230, and if I keep flying within my capacities. I have significantly advanced my flying on the sim precisely because I try stuff until I get it right after several crashes. So for me what I need to overcome is that fear of crashing.

I have also heard several experienced pilots (including Kyle Stacy on an interview) say the same thing. The number one thing that stalls progression is fear of crashing. Conversely, getting over that is the one thing that will accelerate progression. For me I have found my key to overcome that fear, and that is Rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
This is why my personal preference is a lot of orientation work and practice with manual bailout maneuvers - at least at this point in my flying. I like knowing that I can get it upright and tail in from almost any situation.

On the inverted front, I highly recommend a lot of sim time followed by a transition to the K110. The sim time will make the K110 quite easy, and a bunch of inverted time on that indestructible will make you much more comfortable on the 230 or anything bigger.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote