View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
Twilight_Sun
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBarber View Post
I used a digital micrometer to check mine at the same spot on the top. The V977s were .34mm & .36mm and the K110 was .35mm. I think there must be some manufacturing variance if your V977 is thicker than the K110, I wouldn't count on it always being like that. My V977 canopies are the newer 4 hole design, not the old 2 hole design.

I would weight test them, but they have too much packing tape on them! lol

Edit: I just measured multiple points around a couple of canopies and the thickness varies quite a bit from point to point and canopy to canopy, by as much as 50%. So the only true test would be to weigh them, but too many repairs on mine to do that.

Twilight_Sun, do you have two un-taped canopies and a good scale? Inquiring minds want to know which to buy! lol
My mechanical micrometer says that k110 - 0.20mm, v977 - 0.31mm
I've measured the same point on both - flat part near right rear grommet.
Both are cut a little (near skid) and have some tape (not a lot)
k110 - 1.99g
v977 - 2.64g . it looks like it is a significant difference

also I have near a new canopy for v977 (without cuts) - 2.60g and 0.25mm on left side (right one has small amount of tape on that place. but near it - 0.30mm)

By the way they have different behavior in "nose to ground" crashes. V977 can survive more force but tend to crack only. k110 could be jammed sometimes with no cracks. I dunno what is better.

Of course I can say only about mine ones. k110 is stock one. v977 one is stock one is aftermarket.

P.S. and both v977 ones without one grommet
Twilight_Sun is offline        Reply With Quote