Thread: Capi's Gyro 101
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
DominicD
The Capi

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The derivative is basically the slope of the line or the tangent at the instantaneous point. So imagine the case where you have just a PI controller. As the I portion causes the response to overshoot (an inherent property of any 2nd order system)the slope of the line increases, the derivative section starts to output a correction signal thats proportional to the slope. The increased output causes the system to track faster. So this means that when the system needs to respond quickly the D section kicks in, when the output needs to move slow the D section doesn't provide any output. The I section is rather slow to respond so the larger its portion of the correction the slower the system will be to change, because the D section is helping the system to track faster there is no overshoot as the I section doesn't build up.

The trouble with a derivative section is best proven by example, lets say out input is a sin wave

x(t) = Asin(wt)

where A is the amplitude and w is the angular frequency (related to frequency by 2*pi). If we take the derivative we get

x'(t) = Awcos(wt)

Notice the angular frequency (w) is now part of the amplitude ! This means that higher the frequency of the signal the larger the output. Any real world signal is composed of the desired signal and unwanted noise. This noise consists of a white noise signal which contains energy at all frequencies . Even the smallest high ferquency noise will produce a LARGE output on the D section which will cause the wanted output to be saturated. This requires careful design to limit the input frequency to the D section as well as trading off its advantages to remain on the safe side.