View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #114 (permalink)
dunkonu23
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Boom installation

Next we install the boom. This is the reason why I did not install the gyro tray earlier: I need to see what's going on. If the gyro tray is installed you will work by feel only. I prefer to see what's going on!

Before installing the boom, make sure the servo leads are still going through the cutout in the inner frame.

To install the boom, you need the completed monocoque and the completed boom!

The first step is to loosen the four boom clamp screws.

Next, slide the belt through the openings in the boom clamps first, then slide the boom into the rear clamp.

Next, slide the boom through the front boom clamp until it just touches the tail belt guide pulleys. Do not tighten the boom clamps at this time. The fit of my boom in the clamps even with them loosened was pretty tight. We'll leave the boom in this position until we tension the tail belt.

This is a MAJOR deviation from the manual. During testing I discovered it was easier to install the tail push rod link assembly at this time. It is also easier to install the tail servo at this time, too! This is why I installed the ball link and snapped the ball link on the ball of the servo earlier!

Start by sliding the tail control rod link rod into the the boom. When you're about 1/4 the way in, pick up the helicopter and hold it upright in one hand while sliding the tail control rod link into the boom by holding the servo and pushing. I am doing it this way to avoid fouling the belt and it also makes installing the link on the tail servo much easier.

Continue pushing the tail control rod until the other end emerges from the other end of the boom. It may take a couple of tries. Next snap the link on the tail pitch lever as shown above.

Using the screws found in bag marked Servo 1. Temporarily install the screws for the servo. Do not tighten at this time.

From my observations of the tail pitch lever and the servo arm position when the tail pitch lever is at 90 degrees, the tail control rod length is about spot on--after the belt is tensioned. It may require one or two turns out, but not inward. When we do setup, we'll adjust the link size at the tail pitch arm side.

Next, we install the gyro tray! You'll need the four remaining M3x6 button head screws.

First, position the gyro tray (note the cutouts in the tray for tightening the boom clamp screws).

Next, line up the holes in the gyro tray spacer with those of the frame and using blue thread lock, install all four screws -- two on each side.

When you're done, this is...

... what you'll have... one side view...

The other side view!

We're done for the day, now! Next we'll install the drive belt, pulley assembly, and the head!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8009.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	689145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8022.JPG
Views:	896
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	689146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8023.JPG