View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
A VIKING
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdipstick View Post
When you drop the loaded line from altitude do you think that the loss of weight will make your helicopter shoot up in the air / brief momentary loss of control? If a swinging load causes a panic situation how will this be handled? How will a snag be handled? Will this limit cargo rating, before mechanical release rating? How does a real full scale Helo handle this?

You just want to get that tail out of the tree where it has been for so long....
It will certainly shoot up from the loss of weight but I doubt it would be uncontrollable or lose control. It would be the same as doing a pitch pump.

Panic and uncontrolled swinging of the load will be handled by the cargo hook switch, just drop it an try again...that is, as long as its not breakable.
Snag...drop it with the cargo switch...reduce power to lessen the pull and drop it.
Real life helicopter pilots respond to the same situations in the same way.

From my photo album, a Bell 212 sling loading a broken Bell 206 back to the hanger, this was the late 1970's.

...and a Bell 212 with me hooking up a Bambi spray bucket to it's cargo hook in the late 70's.
Good times!

...and all the broken parts finally fell out of the tree from my Goblin 770 crash so there's nothing to recover.
Nice of you to remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209 (2).jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	700721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217 (2).jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	700722