View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
Number
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
I sort of wish Steve had asked this question a little differently. I think for Blade to survive and flourish, the question needs to be:

"What should blade do to cater to the entry level heli market. How can blade best serve people coming into the hobby."

Lots of folks on here have great ideas BUT they aren't necessarily what Blade needs right now. Blade tried the upper end of the market, they made a decent product, but lets be honest, the other guys had strong products that were as cheap if not cheaper.
Problem is they already have 6 different helicopters almost identical, just one small bit bigger. They are giving the impression there's tons of different steps to take one heli at a time before you get all the way up. When in reality starting with a CP micro, once you learn that you can jump right up to a 360 class and it's WAY easier to fly.

Blade Nano CPS (Self Level/Rescue ability!)
Blade 130S (Self Level/Rescue ability!)
Blade 230S (Self Level/Rescue ability!)
Blade 250 CFX (Self Level/Rescue ability!)
Blade 270 CFX (Self Level/Rescue ability!)
Blade 360 CFX Trio (Self Level/Rescue ability!)

While the rescue self level stuff might help in the beginning, it's certainly not necessary EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. If you still depend heavily on rescue on a 250mm, or 360mm class helicopter, you should not be flying a 250 or 360 class helicopter.

By the time you're flying such a powerful heli you should be able to maintain basic flight, even if its just hovering in 4 orientations. A micro will help you learn those more cheaply.

The variation is nice, if you don't want a 130mm heli you can get a 230mm heli.

But a 230, 250, 270?? What in the world? WHY?

They're all so close to each other in size and performance (the 270 being the exception as it has lots of power, but it still has rescue) that it's just so unnecessary. Heck, after looking more closely, the 250 CFX looks like a 230S with a bigger battery.

Back a few years ago, I learned to fly helis. I got a sim, I flew the heck out of it, until I could do decent aerobatics. My first real life aerobatics was on a Nano CPX in 2013. Then I got a 450. Just like that. No self level and it was a total of 3 steps: Sim, micro, big.

There's not really even a reason to do that anymore. You can learn on the sim to do all orientations, then jump right in to a 450. Other than the intimidation factor of a big helicopter, bigger helicopters are TONS easier to fly than micros. Way slower and more stable. Or if you're an adrenaline junky with deep pockets going from master at sim to a 600 or 700 would be even easier. The bigger the heli the easier it is to fly - and that's completely true.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'm dead serious. My friend kept trying to convince me years ago that you are actually less likely to crash a 700 because of how dang slow they move. My biggest concern was the cost of a crash and he just kept repeating this statement to me. And I didn't believe him. But once I flew a 700, it's 100% true. I dumb thumb my 470 and darn near smash it into the ground on a regular basis. Not once have I genuinely come close on my 700. Now i stand behind that statement with 100% agreement.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is offline        Reply With Quote