View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
A VIKING
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Towing the Flag

Trying to work in time and good weather for filming this project of mine with the mighty Velos 880 as the star.
I have never "long lined" anything from a model helicopter before so I figured it would be smart to start out with something light.
Built up a 12 foot braided steel cable long line (fishing leader material) and attached it to my cargo hook and flag which had a lead weight at the bottom and a round piece of carbon fiber tube in the seam of the flag to give it a backbone which keeps the leading edge straight in flight.

Picking up of the flag was no issue. The only thing I found I had to be careful of was acceleration into forward flight. Not too fast, as the flag has a lot of drag and can swing back far enough to get the long line in the tail rotor.

Other than that it was a piece of cake. Looking forward to lifting other things of greater weight and I also have the ability to control two loads now as I added a second controllable hook.

Working on a worthy video, but for now, here is a still shot of the long line and flag in flight.
Its fun!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing the Flag.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	705597