View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
flightengr
Registered Users

The first question that comes to mind is which transmitter is the "master" and which is the "slave" or "student"?

The master controller needs to be able to control all functions of the aircraft itself, assuming the student controller doesn't exist.

The master controller also needs to have trainer mode enabled for the model. That's done on a "Trainer" screen in the System Setup menu. When you enable Trainer mode, it asks you which switch/button is going to toggle between student and master control, and it will also want to know whether you want to use "Programmable Master" mode or "Pilot Link" mode. Which one you choose will dictate how complex the setup needs to be on the student controller.

When you use "Programmable Master", the student's controller must also be set up properly to fly the aircraft on its own. In this mode, the master controller passes all of the student's controls to the aircraft unchanged.

When you use "Pilot Link" mode, then the student's transmitter does not need any setup. It can be a very basic airplane or heli model. Pilot Link mode treats the student controller as "just a set of sticks", replacing the sticks on the master controller. The master controller still applies all flight mode settings, curves, D/R and expo, trim, and so on before sending the signals to the aircraft.

I have done a lot of buddy boxing with airplanes, but never with helis. I would assume that Pilot Link mode would work fine with a basic airplane model on the student controller, as that would pass stick input through to the master. I'd start out that way and then use the Monitor screen on the master controller to see how the transmitter reacts as the sticks are moved on the student controller. I really don't think you would want any swashplate mixing or stuff like that on the student transmitter when you're using Pilot Link mode - the master controller should handle all of that. The question in my mind is whether or not you'd need any pitch signal coming from the student controller. My inclination is no, but I'm not positive. That's why I'd start with an airplane model on the student controller, get it going with the master, and watch the Monitor screen on the master to see what happens to all of the channels including pitch while the student has control. If it doesn't work correctly, then I'd change the model type on the student control to a heli with a "1 servo normal" swash setup.

Finally, you don't mention if you are using wired or wireless trainer mode. The G2 versions of those controllers allow wireless buddy boxing, which means that you don't need a cord between them. If you go wireless, then you must put the master controller into a bind mode that allows the student controller to bind to it like it would bind to the receiver in the aircraft.

If you're going wired, then turn off the student controller before plugging the cable into the student controller. The student controller will power up in slave mode when you plug in the trainer cable.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote