View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #121 (permalink)
Atomic Skull
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
Yet the deluxe Hansen one used to be THE crimper to have. Everyone who had one loved it. If Hansen crimps were failing on even a semi-regular basis, we'd have been hearing about it all along. It didn't suddenly stop working well simply because something newer and, maybe, better came out.
They are not new, these tools (HT-0095, HT-0102, etc) date from at least the mid 70's and they are the actual official factory hand tooling for this terminal type designed by the company (Du Pont) that also designed this connector type.

The Hansen crimpers are a generic double D crimper that happens to crimp Mini-PV terminals well enough, but it does not crimp them as well as the actual official tooling does. You can easily yank the wire out of the crimp with needle nose pliers. Terminals crimped with the official factory tooling will hold until the wire breaks.

If is only now that it has been learned by the RC community what these connectors are called and what the official tooling for them is. It's actually pretty interesting that this has remained undiscovered in our community for decades. The threads I have posted here are to my knowledge the first time this information has appeared in an RC forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
Remember, slave labor in overseas sweatshops make these crimps.
Extensions and male to male jumpers might be made by hand however almost all servo leads are made on automated tooling not with hand crimpers. They have machines that strip and cut the wire off a spool and feed the terminals directly on the bandolier and spit out thousands of crimps per hour. The company making the servos just buys them in bulk from a third party source that makes them by the millions. That said, a lot of the Mini-PV crimps I have seen were made on generic tooling. However as has been stated earlier in this thread the JR / TYU type terminals which are actually designed for double D crimp dies seem to have become more common in recent years.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 06-20-2017 at 02:44 AM..
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote