View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #68 (permalink)
A VIKING
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default The Improved Swing Arm

Like I said in my previous post, I just wasn't satisfied with my original swing arm. There were too many possible errors that could lead to trouble when lifting the rope up and over a high tree branch.

So...check out the photos of the new improved swing arm for rope deployment.
There were four areas of concern I had with the original swing arm.
1. The rope was difficult to load on the parallel bars.
2. There was no control of the rope on the parallel bars after loading and in flight...it could slide forward or backward.
3. The rope could hang up on the skids during the drop.
4. The free end of the rope could pull tight on the parallel bars when hanging in a hover due to it's own weight. This could cause the rope to hang up on the bars when dropped.
5. The parallel bars could swing all the way back and into the main rotor if the return rubber band were to break.

All of these concerns were addressed with this new version.
1. The rope is now easy to load. The loading station for the rope was brought forward from its previous position from under the canopy.
2. Because of the bends in the tubing creating the forward and rear "humps" the rope is now captured so it can't slide around yet can be released smoothly and without error.
3. The rear "hump" in the tubes is ahead of the skids so the rope can't hang on the skids during the drop.
4. The swing arm has a tapered shape where the first version had parallel bars. With the tapered shape if the free end of the rope were to tighten up on the swing arm in flight the tapered shape will cause the rope to loosen as it slides forward during the drop.
5. Having a tapered shape, the swing arm is closed at the front unlike the open parallel bars, so the closed end will prevent the swing arm from traveling all the way back and up into the main rotor...it will stop when it hits the tail boom. Again, this could happen if my return rubber band should break.

So unlike my first version I have no concerns with this one. My first flight will be to prove out cyclic control. I will coil the entire 200 feet of rope on the swing arm and take it for a flight. My objective is to verify I still have good cyclic control with 6 pounds hanging one foot in front of the normal COG of the Velos.

With the massive rotor disk I am thinking it really won't make that much difference but I still have to verify before trying it out on a 100 foot high branch that needs removing.

So as always, flight video when I can do it, I'm looking forward to seeing the rope fly.
One more step in making my Velos 880 a "Working Class" model.

p.s. I remember why not too many people make assemblies out of tubing with lots of complicated bends...it will make you sweat. If making one tube wasn't hard enough with all of its bends...I had to make another one to match. Did it on the first try but I did a lot of thinking and measuring before making the bends...because once you make a bend...you can't take it back.

The new and improved swing arm for rope deployment.

Swing Arm mounted to the Velos.

Low front view of the improved swing arm mounted to the Velos.

Low rear view of the improved swing arm on the Velos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7502.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	715442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7508.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	715443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7509.jpg
Views:	384