View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Atomic Skull
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I needed to pull power from the FBL unit to power a Scorpion RPM opto coupler but the only free port on the FBL was being used to power the fan on the ESC. This allows me to run two devices into one port without bulky soldered Y-splitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestructured View Post
It would likely be more reliable to solder them instead, but that's impressive that you got it all to fit that way.
Soldering is LESS reliable than crimping.

I'm using a DuPont factory hand tool for 0.1 crimp terminals (HT-95), unlike e.g. the Hansen crimpers it's specifically made for this terminal type (Mini-PV terminals). According to the technical specs for this connector family two 26 or 28AWG wires are allowable in a single terminal.

Unlike generic tools this one wraps the insulation "wings" around so that they "hug" the wire and swages the conductor crimp into a tightly rolled tube. This is the way these terminals are actually supposed to be crimped, generic tools like the Hansens work but sort of mangle the terminal in the process. It also has a terminal locating mechanism that holds it in place in the tool so you only need to line up the wire in the terminal.

This was just a practice run with some scrap wire I had laying around I ordered some 26 AWG Radical RC wire which has tougher insulation (though this also make it a bit stiffer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two_wire_crimp_001.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	721050  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 08-29-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote