View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
_Dekker
Registered Users

The way to do it:
-no clamping of the stator, only hold it by hand. Any form of clamping really increases risk of deforming the stator. So hold it in your hand. I use a rubber glove for more grip and to protect my fingers just in case I miss with the hammer.
-Cool the motor in the freezer, with the driving rod already in place. That minimizes warm up time when you take the motor out. The cooler the better. It works for 99% of the motors. I only used liquid nitrogen once for a very stubborn motor. Do NOT heat: the aluminium of the carrier will expand further than the stator sheets, making the connection only stronger. So cooling is the way to go.
-Use a good fitting steel insert onto the bearing seat, preferably with a protrusion that also fits further down into the carrier. This stabilizes the rod and makes the operation more secure. No wood or aluminium: that is WAY too soft and will not conduct the hammer shock waves into the carrier as well.
-Put the glove on, and with hammer in the other hand open the fridge. Hammer away immediately. Do waste time.
-The first hammer blows are key: if you strike it in a wimpy manner the bearing seat will compress and deform/expand before the bond breaks loose. This tightens the bond between carrier and stator. So hammer as hard as you can/dare. Also hammer size should be for normal nails, not the tiny versions.
-As soon as there is the tiniest shift of the carrier you know it is going to succeed.

With this there is no risk of damaging the stator unless you badly miss with the hammer. You could prevent that by putting a wooden plate with a hole it in over the motor but I never do that.
_Dekker is offline        Reply With Quote