View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
DCflyer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by That.Heli.Dude View Post
I generally fly vbar ikon spartan I just picked up my first sk540 and was wondering if there were any tips I should know about? I will be setting it up on a goblin 380 hw esc,kst cyclic,bk tail and an xnova motor
Check to make sure you have the latest firmware / software. Latest software is 4.09 and latest firmware is 4.08 for the gyro. Do the update before setup. You will need to power the unit with a power source before updating. If you have a really old firmware on the gyro (rare but possible) you will need to update the gyro to 3.43 first (some people have problems going from pre-3.43 to the latest firmware).

I'd open the software first and familiarize yourself with the dashboard. Under one of the drop downs, you can change your view to "advanced" - i'd do that so you can have access to the full tuning options.

There is also a "Wizard" drop down. By selecting these, you can set up the machine step by step OR you can do it manually by going through the various tuning tabs from left to right.

Also, you can select a baseline tune in one of the drop downs (3D, sport, etc). I usually start with 3D and tune from there.

Before hooking up any servo's etc (I usually don't even have the FBL mounted) its, good to plug in the FBL and set up your Tx (inputs, check orientation, compensations, travels, etc) in the software. Bind, set failsafes, etc. Binding and failsafes are found in one of the dropdowns.

SKookum has an absolutely fantastic Wiki page for setup and tuning. Do make sure to check that out. That should get you up and running very quickly.

Also, SKookum has a youtube page you should check out. If you plan on using the Skookum governor, the setup for this is a little different than other units. They will have that step by step process on their YT page.

Another quick note: You can make changes to the setup by just plugging in the FBL usb (unlike Ikon where you have to actually power the helicopter). You don't even have to power your Tx. Just plug in the FBL, let it initialize, and make your changes. However, for doing pitch setup, binding, failsafes, governor setup, etc you'll need a power source.

I run Skooks on 3 of my machines and really like them.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote