View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #106 (permalink)
A VIKING
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default I put a little Spring in my step.

I like the new aluminum tube gear legs. They are light and strong but are not to flexible in allowing other than a perfectly soft touchdown during landing...especially on concrete or blacktop.

I came up with a version of a shock strut or oleo strut without the "o" that should do a good job for me and my 22 pound Velos 880 UAV.

See the photos:
The shock strut consists of two steel spacers separated by a section of silicone tubing which slides inside the gear leg.
The upper steel spacer is stationary and holds the weight of the Velos.
It is up against the curve of the landing gear leg which can easily hold the weight of the Velos or the shock of a poor landing.
The upper steel spacer is held in place during flight by a set screw.

The whole shock strut is held together by a center shaft and end screw, a yellow drinking straw takes up a little slop between the steel spacers and center shaft and also allows a slick surface for the assembly to slide on.
During compression the center shaft is allowed to extend up into the gear leg.
It works well and provides just the right amount of cushion for the big Velos.
Rubber feet will be placed on the ends.
In experimenting I discovered that I can alter the cushion by punching small holes in the silicone tubing to allow easier compression.

I will also be aware of possible ground resonance but don't think that will be a factor. If it should ever occur I would quickly increase collective to fly out of the condition and land in the grass.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7929.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	729604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7933.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	729605