View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #178 (permalink)
toadiscoil
Registered Users

Are you proficient at all the basics?

I call basics the following:

Stable hover in all upright and inverted orientations.

Circuits in all upright and inverted, CW and CCW, forward and reverse.

That's more than I can do. I am working on inverted reverse circuits currently. They are hard.

Once that is done my next goal is funnels tail down only, inverted and upright, CW and CCW.

Once that is done in theory I should be able to start giving a shot at the "stir maneuvers" starting with the piro-flip. It blows my mind some pilots achieve piro-flips in the first year or two. I think this season I can only MAYBE get the funnels if I stick to my daily half hour sim practice.

Then of course I have to overcome my fear of moving that to reality :/

I am doing tic tocs for a good while now, basically just trying to get them but without constant deliberate practice like the basics. Still not as good as I would want them to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
I think that the top pilots must have just an amazing natural ability to do this sort of thing.
I've been flying about 4 years and progressed up from a contra rotating heli through fixed pitch to CP. My first CP was a 130X but I bought a MCPX BL because of the expense and work/time involved repairing the 130X. The MCPX BL taught me the basics of CP flying and I still have it in operational condition although I don't fly it much. I found the same with the sim in that I can do way more on the sim than in real life and it is crashing that prevents me trying a lot of advanced stuff. To me crashing seems to generate two set of problems, the immediate breakages and then consequent failures, like you will find the tail motor pack up or something.
The guys at the local model shop think I can fly better than most and put together a reasonable display of smooth aerobatics but I just can't do this hard 3D stuff so I will stick with my limitations. At the moment I am trying to perfect tick tocs.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote