View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #169 (permalink)
Glenn Goodlett
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Yeah that looks like a good one, someone should grab it while the grabbing is good.

The FCI HT-208 I bought turned out to be a dud, it looks like someone had taken it apart and put it back together wrong (the "hook" at the top that locks the locator in place when you close the tool was on backwards which was what clued me in). I sent pictures of a properly crimped terminal and what these crimpers produced to the seller and he refunded without even requiring that I return the item. Also the screw on the back that holds the locator in place had a stripped head and a slot dremeled into it (it's an M4 button head and I bet someone tried to use an imperial allen wrench on it). This was not shown in the sellers pictures (though if that had been the only problem it would be easily fixable)

For some reason the terminal sat incorrectly in the locator over the die and this was the result.
When I saw your post I had a deva vu feeling and it took a while for it to come to me but my 208a crimpers made crimps that looked exactly like yours whenever I used the Hansen pins. The problem is the pin cannot be inserted far enough into the crimper and part of the socket gets crushed by the die and the conductor crimp gets screwed up as well.

I shimmed the locating pin so that the connector inserts farther into the crimper. I just used a washer and adjusted the thickness of the washer with a file to get the proper insertion depth (see photo). You could also modify the shape of the locating pin to achieve the same result, but, then there would be no going back.

Now my 208a makes perfect crimps on the Hansen pins every time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	742034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	742038  

Last edited by Glenn Goodlett; 04-03-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote