View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
jhamel
Registered Users

Default Interested in 3D printing. I need help getting started.

I am interested in 3D printing. I have read a lot of stuff and watched several hours worth of 3D printing introduction videos. I am a bit overwhelmed.

So far, it looks like the most common option is Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM), but Stereolithography (SLA) and Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) are gaining traction.

As a hobbyist, should I purchased a true and tried FDM technology 3D printer, or would a newer SLA or SLS technology 3D printer be a better option?

Price/Cost: This would be my very first 3D printer. I am not looking to spending $10,000, but I also don't want to spend $300 on a 3D printer that will ultimately be frustrating and dissatisfying to use. It looks like the Original Prusa i3 MK3S kit is a bit expensive at $749.00 + $50.00 shipping, but it seems to enjoy very favorable reviews. The Ender 3D printers seem to be very popular, but it is unclear to me whether their popularity is based on bang for the buck at an affordable price, or if they are really that good.

What 3D printers are folks using and what has the experience with them been?

Can anyone who owns a Prusa 3D printer share his or her experience?
Amain Field Representative
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote