View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
flightengr
Registered Users

Since it was the first model out, the NX6 has had the most experience with bugs.

Firmware version 3.03, the current version, fixes most of the worst problems out there. The NX10's have shipped in the US now, and those came from Horizon with 3.03 installed. The NX6's and the NX10's shipped other places had 3.02.

With 3.03, the problem with updating firmware via Wi-Fi was resolved. You could always upgrade the old way, by registering at Spektrum's Web site and then downloading a firmware file, and that's how people with 3.02 may have to get to 3.03. The charging issue is also supposed to be fixed with 3.03.

The biggest issues right now with 3.03 are with importing models and with the sound. Importing DX models (SPM files) is losing the settings for the trim. The sound system is making strange static noises randomly, most noticeable when you have the roller beeping turned on and you're scrolling through menus. Those things are both software issues and will be fixed down the road.

There is also a problem with some older DSM2 receivers. The servos may twitch periodically for no apparent reason. That's something they're still working on; 3.03 didn't fix that.

By the time you get your NX8, I imagine they'll be on at least 3.04.

I got my NX10 a few days ago. Overall it seems like a great radio. It's very comparable to the DX9 in many respects, even weight. The NX10 has a bigger battery than the NX6 or NX8, so the battery adds a little more heft. I was expecting the NX10 to be a lot lighter than the DX9, but it's not. The DX9 is 0.81kg, and the NX10 is 0.78kg.

I have a Spektrum Stand-Up Transmitter Case that I have used with my DX9 for years. The NX10 fits very well in that case. It's just a tiny bit more snug, but it's not necessary to trim any foam.

I really like the fact that it has internal storage that you can access via USB. Rather than moving an SD card back and forth to the PC, you can just plug in the radio. That USB connection can also be used to hook up with a flight simulator such as RealFlight. The transmitter appears to Windows as a game controller, which is what most sims expect now. Spektrum sells a little adapter cable for connecting a wired training cable, so it should still work with Phoenix if you prefer that one and still have it working.

The NX series can read and import models from the DX series (SPM files) and from the iX series (ISPM files). However, the NX series will only export NX files (NSPM files).

No other transmitters will write NSPM files. The iX12 can read all three file formats and write in both ISPM and SPM. That makes the iX12 the closest thing to a "universal translator" right now. The iX20 reads all three formats as well but only writes ISPM.

Another plus is the addition of a real clock inside. If you care about the timestamps of files you export or in the telemetry logs, you'll finally see some real times in there.

All NX radios have antenna diversity. The main antenna now rotates, allowing you to improve the angle of it while you're holding the transmitter. The secondary antenna is beneath the NX logo on the face of the radio; it's not in the handle like the DX series.

Finally, it's not mentioned in the spec sheets anywhere, but the NX series transmitters all have the vibration (vibe) alert. For a long time you had to have at least a DX9 for that feature; they took it out of the less-expensive DX Gen2 transmitters. Many people may be glad to hear that it's back now.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote