View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Flight Risk
Registered Users

Default How hot is too hot OUTSIDE?

I’ve heard from various sources that a temp sensor on a nitro engine is useless. I’ve heard from others that their nitro really puts out the power at about 212°F /100°C.
I’ve got about 5 gallons of nitro experience now, always run slobbering rich to keep things cool.
Anyway!
Got really good relative power one day when it was about 80°F outside, found the right tune (for me) and it was still quite rich.
Anyway I live in the desert. I’ve been wanting to fly, every day has been 105°-115° during the time of day I could actually fly. I don’t want to kill my lipo’s by flying electric in this heat so nitro is really my only option this month...

According to the experts:
1. I’m at higher altitude so- should run a bit leaner.
2. High ambient heat- so should run leaner (less o2)
3. Low relative humidity- so should run leaner

I don’t want to toast my beautiful motor so I run rich always

I‘ve flown at ambient 104° and power was meh… and the back plate was much hotter to the touch- even though I was running it rich enough to splatter nitro all over in flight.

Who’s flown in high heat and does anyone have any suggestions??

Tareq lives in Dubai. Air temps there reach 120° at times and he’s out flying. Forget about the fact he’s made of $$ and gets all his gear for free.

Anybody else out there flying in high temps? Do you follow the same tuning process and lean it out according to power and sound? Or do you err on the side of caution and just fly a bog machine?

Not that it should matter but in case anyone wants to know
OS 105hzr, 20% nitro, stock shim. Settings- irrelevant because of tuning but let’s say they’re close to what the manual suggests, within a few clicks on mid and maybe -4 or 5 on High
Thanks for reading the novel. There will be no sequel. Hallelujah for you
Thanks
Shane

Last edited by Flight Risk; 07-08-2021 at 10:15 PM..
Flight Risk is offline        Reply With Quote