Thread: Trex250 Manual
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
ferret30
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One thing has been bothering me since I learned that the bolt length change seemed to fix things. People are using the term "preloading" to, as far as I can tell, say that the bearings have a lateral load on them due to the bolts clamping the inner race against the hub instead of bottoming out and leaving a little wiggle room.

I understand preloading to mean that the inner race is pulled one way (by the bolt) while the outer race is forced the other way by the grip. If this was the case, the grip wouldn't turn at all since the grip would be pressed against the hub.

If you look at the picture (I know, I'm putting too much thought into this), the inner race of one bearing is clamped between the hub shoulder and the washer, the other between the washer and the bolt head. The outer race is contained by the grip. There shouldn't be any preloading caused by this configuration.

I understand the main that has been identified by Align and by people in this forum, but I'm wondering if this preloading could have even been a factor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foo.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	71269  
ferret30 is offline        Reply With Quote