Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default msrx bath

Its rained pretty hard last nite and left some big puddles, so naturally I was out flying today (with no wind!) and found the biggest puddle to land my msrx in. I immediately unplugged the battery, pulled the canopy, blew it out and let it dry out. When I plugged in the battery I noticed it lost bind..no problem...re-bind...as it initializes I notice a small hint of smoke come from who knows where?? Everything works fine, no loss of power..I even re-oiled the main and tail motor, and a drop on all the bearings (including the small bearings on the servo's)...I assume its okay, kinda wonder where the smoke came from though....

Anybody else went bobbing for apples with their msrx and had this occur?
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartHeli View Post
Its rained pretty hard last nite and left some big puddles, so naturally I was out flying today (with no wind!) and found the biggest puddle to land my msrx in. I immediately unplugged the battery, pulled the canopy, blew it out and let it dry out. When I plugged in the battery I noticed it lost bind..no problem...re-bind...as it initializes I notice a small hint of smoke come from who knows where?? Everything works fine, no loss of power..I even re-oiled the main and tail motor, and a drop on all the bearings (including the small bearings on the servo's)...I assume its okay, kinda wonder where the smoke came from though....

Anybody else went bobbing for apples with their msrx and had this occur?

Seems like I recall quite a few threads with people that have with no ill results in the end... The smoke is strange for sure lol...
ballisticevo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah I looked at some of the older threads, no smoke reported though. I guess If it falls out of the sky I'll know its not okay
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartHeli View Post
Yeah I looked at some of the older threads, no smoke reported though. I guess If it falls out of the sky I'll know its not okay
lol mine did that yesterday it fell from 50-60 ft up..... I was like wtf and did it again... Turned out the receiver wire got pulled into the main gear and ripped it off lol. quick solder patch job and we are rolling again..
ballisticevo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticevo View Post
lol mine did that yesterday it fell from 50-60 ft up..... I was like wtf and did it again... Turned out the receiver wire got pulled into the main gear and ripped it off lol. quick solder patch job and we are rolling again..

I took it out and ran a whole pack through it, everything seems to be fine. I did however mistakenly bind it to my mcpx model in my Tx the first time...I guess you truly cant fix stupid
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine spent almost 10 minuutes fully submerged (8-10") while I pried and fished it from the rain gutter. Fired right up the next AM like it never happened. I was amazed....
Lessthanryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

puff of smoke probably came from one of the servos on the board side
Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My twin brother (I actually do have a twin brother, so it wasn't just my alter ego flying at the time) sunk my msrx in the lake outside his home a couple of weeks back. Conversation went like this : "I don't think you're ready to fly outside yet". "I'm ready". "Ok- don't fly it anywhere near the lake." "Ok". I swear, 20 seconds later it was swimming with the fishes. Only positive was that he chickened out when he realized it was headed lake side, and he powered down before it went in. It was down at least a foot, sunk like a rock. Something eerily beautiful about looking down from the shoreline at the blue circuitboard light illuminating the water. Our wives were laughing their heads off from the safety of the living room window as he took off his shoes and rolled up his pants, in the snow, to go fish it out.
Probably spent a total of two minutes submerged, Once it was out of the water I pulled the battery plug asap, then shook it out and hit it gently with a hair dryer until it was dry. Drove into town and bought a precision oiler needle and lubed the motor, bearings, and servos (yes, I know that will make them more susceptible to collecting grime but felt that rust avoidance trumps) before firing it up again about 2 hours later.

No smoke, been flying it ever since without a problem. Actually, not quite true- the tail motor packed it in yesterday mid flight- the heli started spinning for no apparent reason. Tail motor was too hot to touch. But I'm not blaming the dunk in mid January on that one as from reading posts on here dead tail and or main motors seem to be a not uncommon problem. I've flown it an average of 4 times a day since December 26 with a few down days due to waiting on blade grip balls, etc. I'd conservatively guess 100 x 4 minute flights and the submarine circuit was 50 flights ago.

Note- since the stock tx doesn't have a timer and I can't be bothered, I've flown it at or near LVC practically every flight. Don't have a tester to tell how my batteries are doing, but feel that they are essentially working as well as on day one. All and all I'm very impressed with this marvel of engineering

Last edited by Skierguy_75; 02-07-2012 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Skierguy_75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in