Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Boiling skids

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I feel that's the only way to learn. I did looked this up which has really just confused me on the subject....lol

I have read that many have boiled their SR landing skids. Does this really work to make them more flexible and therefor take more punishment or is it a snake oil treatment ?
If it does work, what is the best way to go about this. I have the set of skids that came on my bird and also a new replacement set that I would consider doing this too, but i don't want to melt them and see my skids go into the trash....lol or maybe up in smoke !
Thanks

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

We used to boil all of our props but that was back in the 70's. It worked otherwise they were rather brittle.
Cgarr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I boiled mine and they broke at the first crash anyway, now i got the blade 400 landing gear and they are very strong and a bit larger!
HeliQuebec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also try the UH-! SR skids...they are larger and a bit hardier. Not sure what the cost is between those and the 400 skids.
MESummersII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can't melt them by boiling them in water. 212 F is as hot as they will get, unless you boil all the water away. Chunk them in a pot and let them go for 10 minutes or so. Long enough to heat them all the way through. And let us know what you think when you're done.

John
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the reply's and help !
I think i will give it a try just to see what it does. I have 2 new sets of the oem SR skids and 1 set of the 400 skids that are new so i should be alright as far as skids go for now, so i will take one of the SR skids and boil them .
Let you know what i think after I do it, probably will be a couple of days before i get the chance though.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

worked on my MCPX
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I boiled 2 sets of the OEM skids I have today. I can tell a little difference in them after I was done. They seem to be a little more flexible and not as brittle........how much more flexible and how much it will help keep them from braking......I don't know, but it is easy to do and if it helps any at all it will be well worth the little effort it took.
I guess I will find out soon !
I just brought the water to a boil and then cut the heat off and put the skids in, i left them in for 10 minutes and got them out and let them dry.
there may be other ways to do it, but that's the way I read about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in