Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default How to join AMA

To get an AMA card, go to this Web page: AMA Membership Application Center. Fill out the forms, pay if you are not getting the three month trial and, you are done.

Read the Membership Manual or, at the very least read the AMA Safety Code document.

Follow the safety procedures, properly identify your aircraft as per the instructions and, you are good to go.

You are NOT required to show proficiency in aircraft operation to get a standard or, Park Flyer AMA card. You may be required to show basic skills to fly at a club field. That is up to the club.

One time AMA requires proficiency is to get a turbine waiver. If you are flying a turbine helicopter, you already know all this.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks for the information.

Already joined.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

And a few points of WHY to join AMA:

1) They are our voice in the US on modeling to the FAI and to the US Government. There was an attempt to shut down ALL RC model flying after 9/11. AMA worked to prevent that. They are alos involved with the current rule making on UAVs to make sure there is some proviion/way for FPV models to be flown legally in the US without meeting all the UAV requirements (certificate, medical, flight plan, etc.)

2) You can join AMA Chartered clubs. The Club environment can be fun. Hanging out with people who enjoy the same hobby, helping each other out, etc. Not all clubs are created equal, so check out the clubs in your area. Some are a bit territorial. The club I belong to allows flying ANYTHING. If it is too windy to fly RC, they pull out kites. Also some clubs cannot accept Park Flyer members. This is because of the differing insurance limits, and some field agreements require the coverage of full membership. In most cases, this si not the club discriminating against park flyer members, but due to legal agreeements in place, until they can get changed. In osme cases, it is the club not wanting park flyer members, remeber, all clubs are NOT the same.

3) You can attend and fly at various events. Fun Fly events, IRCHA Jamboree, and even competition.

4) A nice monthly magazine that covers all aspects of modeling. While you may only be into helis, you can also learn things from people flying everything from RC pattern to Control Line to Free Flight. And who klnows, at some point, you might become interested in those areas. Park Flyer members get a quarterly magazine aimed at park flying RC only.

5) You can join the Special Interest Groups that provide official input to the AMA on vairous parts fly flying. For helis there is IRCHA and the new RWMAA (working on offial SIG status). These groups further congregate people of like interests, and work to the goals of the group officially within the AMA. They also put on various events.

6) And finally, your AMA membership will provide you with liability insurance in case you damage property or injure a person with your model aircraft. You do NOT have to be flying a club field, just flying within the rules of thesafety code to be covered. The coverage is in excess of any insurance you might already have. But recently we had a guy here having to sell off his heli stuff to pay for the damage to someone's car that was hit by his heli. Coverage limits are different for full members versus park flyer members.

AMA might not be perfect, but they are our voice officially.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP

Last edited by Pinecone; 01-25-2009 at 05:18 PM..
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
AMA might not be perfect
Did you fall asleep mid-sentence, Terry?
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Did you fall asleep mid-sentence, Terry?
What are you talking about?
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
What are you talking about?
Never mind. The magically appearing ink must have dried.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good instight Pinecone, Jrohland. I will be signing up soon, i wounder what the progress is on the UAV . AP Heli ruling with FAA stands??
Bostonewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do know there is work on trying to come up with a good, legal, loop-hole free description of model aircraft operations, so the FAA can exempt them. At least hobby flying.

Commercial ops may require meeting FAA requirements.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thought it might be good to have this in here since it isn't easily findable on their website. It costs $58.00 a year for AMA membership for those that are wondering

Also, the 3 month trial costs $19.95, but that cost can be transferred into your first years membership when you continue. (So contrary to what the first post states, you will be paying whether you chose the trial membership or not, just not as much)
Staxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Does the AMA issue a new number for every non-contiguous membership? I was active in the early 70's, then again in the late 80's. At that time, I lived a few miles from the HQ so applied in person but learned there were no searchable records to aid in getting your old AMA #... Anyone know if that is that still the case today - history being non-searchable and having to grab a new # (third # in my case)?

Thanks!
Synapse_2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Woot thanks for all the info on this Jrohland & Pinecone! Now I can fly at the local club with a buddy without joining. Will join soon though in a month or two.

- HeliDragon
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse_2000 View Post
Does the AMA issue a new number for every non-contiguous membership? I was active in the early 70's, then again in the late 80's. At that time, I lived a few miles from the HQ so applied in person but learned there were no searchable records to aid in getting your old AMA #... Anyone know if that is that still the case today - history being non-searchable and having to grab a new # (third # in my case)?

Thanks!
Little late on this, I know...but I was in pretty much the same situation. Was a member in the late 80's, then rejoined several years ago and received a new number. I sent an email to the AMA asking if I could get my old number back. They were able to look it up and, since it was not in use, give it back to me.
ChrisMH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default application question

Can the application be faxed in or just by snail mail?
sik304s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik304s View Post
Can the application be faxed in or just by snail mail?
----

You can sign up and pay online on their website.
Finskeeper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks I will look around a little better I found the pdf must have looked over the online register
sik304s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great info on AMA, gotta support the groups that look out for our best interests!
Ducaticorse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

when you join is your membership active from one year of your purchase date? You just renew it annually?
RusElKnight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Taken from the website:

"Membership ends each year on December 31, regardless of the date a member application is received. Applications received after September 15th will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year."
Planes: Crack Yak, Habu, F-27Q Stryker, T-28D, UM P-51D, P-51 BL, UM SU-26XP, P-47D, UMX Beast v1 & 3D, UMX Sbach 342, UMX Extra 300 3D, UM F-27Q Stryker, H9 Mustang 40, UM Mosquito, Sky Angel 650mm Mustang/550mm FW190, FMS B-25, 64mm Mig-15 XG11 DX8
ElIntocable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just renewed my AMA membership. I was last a member in 1996. I put in my old AMA number and last name . The AMA still knew me. I renewed with my 15 year lapsed old Number. Yes you can look check to see if your old number is still available.

Keith
Kaylee Smith, RCHN #231
Spartan, Synergy E7, Legend FBL, Goblin 700, Whiplash E, Furion 6s,GAUI R5, Furion 450s, Xcell 60 , T-REX 600s, T-REX 450s, 300X, 130X, MCPXs. I'll fly what I want to fly. You do the same.
flyul1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Signed up. Paid. Got one email and was told "a few days".

It's been over "a few days."

How long can I expect to wait?
Flying cheap helicopters with a cheap radio: Priceless.
I am a living antidote to the anecdote.
Cranky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ama membership

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in