Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X3

X3 Discussion and support for the Gaui X3

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Play (vertical) in main rotor rotos head

I have a little play on the main rotor head when I pull UP / DOWN on the head. It is NOT the shaft ( nor the main gear) that has play, it is NOT anywhere in the grips but it looks as if the Jesus bolt does not grab the shaft AND the rotor head assembly to 'lock' those two together. I do not see wear in the plastic rotor head nor do I see a problem with the bolt.
The up/down play is about 2 degrees in pitch.
Before I start disassembling the main rotor head assembly, is this a problem with the X3, I can not find anything in the forums about this? And if so, any suggestions on tightening the shaft with the rotorhead ?
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The rotor head is moving up and down on the main shaft? Mine has none of this play. I would take the head off the shaft and check for any abnormalities with the jesus bolt and main shaft hole. Then just snug it up till it doesn't move. I had a little play on the lower bolt on mine and just tightened it up and it has had none since then.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Hudock View Post
The rotor head is moving up and down on the main shaft? Mine has none of this play. I would take the head off the shaft and check for any abnormalities with the jesus bolt and main shaft hole. Then just snug it up till it doesn't move. I had a little play on the lower bolt on mine and just tightened it up and it has had none since then.
Thanks !
Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need some 6 MM shims on top of the main gear to take all that slack out Harry. Anythingheli.com carries them in a pack.

They are a tad of a pain to install. The easiest way I've found is to take out the 3rd Bearing Block, start the main shaft through the top 2 bearings and let it stick through a little. Then stick all the shims that are needed onto the main shaft, then slide the main shaft all the way through the main gear. Then install the 3rd bearing shim onto the main shaft and finally push the 3rd bearing block back into place, lock it down and see if there is no more vertical movement.

I'm thinking about getting a 6 mm collar to go on the main shaft underneath the swash to take some of the load off the 3rd bearing block. I had to hit T hold last Saturday after my belt broke in the air. My heli landed on its head gracefully but broke the plastic 3rd bearing block. I'm wondering if the aluminum block is worth getting.

Also thats the 2nd plastic tail I've had break away from the boom. They tend to split the boom lock right down the middle with minimal effort so I'm trying the Aluminum tail piece next time out. It was pricey and I hate to have to fool with loctite. The plastic just worked and worked but I can't have it just breaking apart on me every time something happens.

I'm not product bashing, I may have run the belt too tight. I did hear something different in the belt that last flight right before the belt snapped and I saw it run right out the tail end of the boom.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just to close this thread. I got a shaft collar and that did the trick! As tight as a ducks ass.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did the collar work out on top ok Harry? I have one ordered as well plus the aluminum 3rd bearing block.

When inverted all of the force is on the 3rd bearing without a collar.

With a collar the top bearing will share half the load of the 3rd bearing block and bearing only while inverted or negative load.

Upright all the load is on the center main shaft bearing and in all positive loading.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

compasswarp360 main shaft collar here
crf69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have this problem and cannot get the shaft shimmed properly. Where did you install the collar. I will order one tonite.

Thanks
mgrezmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrezmer View Post
I have this problem and cannot get the shaft shimmed properly. Where did you install the collar. I will order one tonite.

Thanks

The collar goes on top of the top bearing at the top of the frame. Between the top of the frame and the swashplate. Same place it goes on the mini protos or the warp. Logo helis use similar ones. You'll have to leave off the little aluminum plate that holds the bearing in, but you don't need it with the clamp holding it down. It's worth every penny, and the 5 minute swap. Saves tons of time when rebuilding, and you won't rip as much hair out of your head from the shim falling out repeatedly as you rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, thank you.

I did this mod and it was quick, easy and works wonderfully. A real time saver in the future and inexpensive.

You have to wonder why Gaui chose to use shims when this is so easy and the shims are nearly impossible.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess they either didn't think about it, or decided to make the kit $5 cheaper by including a shim instead of that. Lol. Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jasond1979 likes this.
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will this collar solve my vertical movement problem do you think?

Gaul X3 Main Shaft Play (0 min 8 sec)
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The collar should do it. That seems like a lot of play, is something missing in the assembly or assembled wrong?

Good luck, the collar sure makes life easy.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok...that is way to much play...you installed something wrong...

My first guess is you have the one or both servo plate installed upside down, either the top or bottom plate (or both)...the flange that holds the bearing should be on top and the bearing sits a little lower that flush with the bottom of the plates..

the lower mainshaft bearing block should be installed with the flange on the bottom..

If all those are installed correctly you should have zero to very little play and the collar will do the rest
jasond1979 likes this.
PTFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

PTFlyer I think your right. I think I have the bottom block upside down. This has been a frustrating build for me. first time. And the pictures are a little hard to follow sometimes.

Jason
Old 10-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you found the problem, it's an easy fix.

This is a great heli. Flies well and is very crash resistant with inexpensive repair parts. Blades are available for less than $10 per pair delivered, sometimes $5 to $6 depending on how hard you look.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like I’m going to have to shim this bird to get it right. Otherwise the shaft moves up. So the shims go on top of the belt pulley that’s the only place I think of putting them. What do I need 6.2mm shims and I can get them from anything heli no?

Also to make sure all the bearing blocks support the bearings from the bottom correct?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the after market shaft collar from AnythingHeli. That is all you need.
Forget about shims.
jasond1979 likes this.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you still have that much play as in the original post even after flipping the bearing blocks as needed, then there is something else off..

Because if you were to shim that on top of the gears it looks like your main gear will rub the frame on the bottom...

If you get the collar to fix that much play you are only masking what ever is installed incorrectly that is actually causing it..

if it's now only a mm or 2 after you are sure all the bearing blocks are installed correctly (and the mainshaft), then the collar is all you would need to take up that small amount of play..
PTFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanks for the info, to be clear the upper two bearing blocks are identical right? I'm not missing something here as far as bearing block 1 and 2. Also they both support the bearing form the bottom so the bearing can't fall through correct?

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in