Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > HF Vendor Support > Align Support

Align Support Align Vendor Customer Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 450 DFC head slop

Hi, I was wondering if there should be any in out, or up and down movement on the blade
grips in the 450 DFC head?
The head is assembled correctly, no missing parts. I had to grind down the feathering shaft a very small amount at a time, to take up the play to the point where the blade grip inboard radial bearing was just starting to become notchy, to eliminate the play.
Surely having play in the head like this is not a good thing.
Why not provide shims for adjustment , or machine the feathering shaft more accurately.

Eric.
Helibelly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been a while since I've owned a 450 so I don't remember if I've ever needed a shim, but Align does have a set of main shaft spacers available (H45189). Alternatively the T-REX 250-500 Hardware Bag (H45168) also has it. I prefer buying the hardware bag as it gives me all the screws I'll ever need for my kits.
Civerad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah the main shaft spacers are 5x9x0.1mm and 5x9x0.2mm, so would need to be ground down to 5x8mm.
I have actually ordered some of the correct size shims for future reference ( 4x8x0.1mm and 4x8x0.2mm ).
What I would really like to know is should there be any slop there to begin with, i.e. is it there for a reason?
Eric.

Last edited by Helibelly; 06-27-2017 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: extra info
Old 06-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, I just realized you're talking about the blade grips and not the main shaft slop. There shouldn't be any slop on the main grips. Double check if you installed the spacer that goes between the head and the main grip. Also double check that your bearings are correctly seated.

Looking at the parts finder, there are also two feathering shafts for the 450. H45021A is for the pro/sport 450 and it has flanges at the end to fit the thrust bearing. Maybe what you need is H45H005XX.
Civerad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, yes the spacer that goes between the head and the main grip is present and correct. Also all of the bearings and spacers are present and installed in the correct order as per the manual. I have checked this multiple times.

The feathering shaft I am using is part number H45H005XX, without the step down at the end. But being an upgraded version of the H45021A, the lengths should be the same.

This is far from my first heli build, but the first one to have this problem.
Eric.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibelly View Post
Hi, yes the spacer that goes between the head and the main grip is present and correct. Also all of the bearings and spacers are present and installed in the correct order as per the manual. I have checked this multiple times.

The feathering shaft I am using is part number H45H005XX, without the step down at the end. But being an upgraded version of the H45021A, the lengths should be the same.

This is far from my first heli build, but the first one to have this problem.
Eric.
It is possible for you to take video. Upload video to dropbox or google drive. This will help us see the amount of moment. You can send link to alignsupport@enterprisehobby.com or aligntech@enterprisehobby.com

Thanks

Team Align Enterprise Hobby Facebook
Align Part Finder
helislope is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, actually as mentioned I have ground down the feathering shaft a small amount, and the play is now gone. I went a little too far so had to also take a very small amount off the damper.
I wasn't totally happy with this so bought and fitted new feathering shaft and dampers, and now there is no play without having to modify them!
One or both of these new parts are obviously different dimensions than the first set.
I cant compare them with each other as I have modified the first ones, but suspect the dampers as the new ones are a tighter fit in the head.
Just one more question though, the new dampers have a rough finish on one end ( all four of them ), does this rough end fit next to the aluminum shim or the head block?
Thanks,
Eric.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibelly View Post
Hi, actually as mentioned I have ground down the feathering shaft a small amount, and the play is now gone. I went a little too far so had to also take a very small amount off the damper.
I wasn't totally happy with this so bought and fitted new feathering shaft and dampers, and now there is no play without having to modify them!
One or both of these new parts are obviously different dimensions than the first set.
I cant compare them with each other as I have modified the first ones, but suspect the dampers as the new ones are a tighter fit in the head.
Just one more question though, the new dampers have a rough finish on one end ( all four of them ), does this rough end fit next to the aluminum shim or the head block?
Thanks,
Eric.
Rough end goes in the head... The smooth (slightly curved end) should face out.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I have assembled it the other way around! I wish the manual would have clarified this. Never mind, thanks for the info.

Eric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in