Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Scale Projects <790

Scale Projects <790 Scale Projects <790 Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scrap Stretched Trex 600 MD500D

To begin, I want to thank Trooper7 and Cobieg for their help and inspiration on this project.

As the title indicates this build thread is made from scrap, in part. Don't expect to see a super scale machine here folks. I'm just a retired guy who's ideas exceed his skill set, has 10 times more time on his hands than $ in his hands, and enjoys the hobby very much.

That being said here's what's happening. I bought a 700 size (believed to be Century) MD500D fuse from another modeler. A few windows are missing but other than that I think it's complete.

I started to put a 600CF in it, but changed to a 600EFL PRO. It'll have a Roban 5-blade head w/602 mm blades. I've already had discussions on how to reduce the head speed for the PRO. At this time, using a 10s system and a YGE controller w/the active freewheeling is a start. I MIGHT have found a guy that can rewind my motor from a 510kv to a 440kv (or that 400kv range).. I'll have to wait and see on that possibility.

In my hometown of Columbus Ohio the police department used MD500C models decades ago. I believe they moved up to the D model, then the E. Several years ago the E models were upgraded to MD530F models. I believe they have 5 currently. Before I started this project I'd see them flying around town from a distance. I'd always thought they were MD500, but not sure which version.

So when I got my 700 size D model I thought it'd be cool to model after the CPD MD530. Obviously there's noticeable differences between D and E version, but it is what it is.So I plan to have fun w/it.

So here's a few pics of what I'm working with (next to a 450 size) and the real thing..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	738981   Click image for larger version

Name:	N553CP.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	738982  

Last edited by Tman49; 03-03-2018 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Tman49 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why did you decide to use the PRO in the MD500, and the CF in the Long Ranger? With the 5-blade head you need a much lower head speed, which is easier to achieve on the CF because you can modify the gear ratio.
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuyoubi View Post
Why did you decide to use the PRO in the MD500, and the CF in the Long Ranger? With the 5-blade head you need a much lower head speed, which is easier to achieve on the CF because you can modify the gear ratio.
I needed to stretch the 600 for the MD500. The CF is belt driven, I bought a tt conversion for it. However, the Chaos tail boom mount was too wide.So I returned it. The PRO was easy to stretch. As a matter of fact I'm going to maiden the 5-blade head today.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see. Those belts should be available in different lengths, though, since they're standard belts for other applications. The 600CF belt is an "XL" or "MXL" - I don't remember, but I have seen this topic on the heli forums.
Anyway, good luck with your maiden!!!
Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 5-blade maiden

Well, I had a minor setback w/the maiden of the mechanics w/the 5-blade head. On the 2nd test hover, just before liftoff it tilted right then the blades carved an arc into the dirt. I haven't completed assessment of damage yet. I did notice all blades shot (duh), ball link stripped so far.

I noticed that tilt before when I spooled it up a few weeks ago.That lead me to think it is a gyro thing. Which prompted me to decide to use training gear for my test flights. As it turned out I loaned the training gear to a friend the day before. Such is life.

Anyway, I need to find a matched set of blades this time. I read somewhere Rotor Tech is an option. Any others in stock somewhere?

Thanks for your time.
Thomas
Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear about the mishap.
The only manufacturer I know of that sells matched 5-blade sets is Spinblades, but there are probably others.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kind of blades are you using (flat bottom, asymmetrical, 3d)?
I just got a 5 blade set of 603 Switch Blades from BK Designs. They ordered them from the factory and are spot on balanced. I run 3d blades because they don't balloon in the wind as much as flat bottom.

Ron
Old 03-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So you contacted them, and they custom ordered the set for you? That's cool!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Rotor Tech does the same service for multi-blade requests. I also use 3D blades for the exact reason cobieg has stated. Mine have all be rattle can painted with only a slight scuffing needed for good adhesion. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So you contacted them, and they custom ordered the set for you? That's cool!
Yeah, it took about 3 weeks. Worth the wait.

Ron
Old 03-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

As a small correction, there are some multi-blade sets from Rotor Tech that are already matched and ready to run. If none of the pre-matched multi-blade sets are available at the time you order, a set can be matched for you. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone, I'm checking out the options.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well this project finally resumed. A buddy crashed his 600 a few months ago. So I was helping him find parts in order to get it back in the air. I found a guy selling his 600 w/a bunch of parts. (Thanks mrnuzzsaw)

As it turned out, the heli my buddy bought had all the KDE stuff I've been needing. Adjustable motor mount, tail mod to increase tail speed, main bearing mounts and more. So we exchanged frames since my buddy only flies p&b. I needed to make another plywood base. Then I'll reprogram the AR7200BX.

I'm using 3D blades to start so I can test fly it. Pictures soon.

Last edited by Tman49; 05-15-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Tman49 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's cool! Good luck with the second maiden!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's cool! Good luck with the second maiden!
Thanks. I got the ply base and LG on. Now I need to make a temporary battery holder. I'm going 10S, (a 6S/4S combo).
Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got back to this project. Nice thing about projects, if you need to put it off for awhile the project is very patient. Anyway, last year was dedicated to my 1st year doing a LOR holiday light display. It turned out nice. But I miss my helis.

Npomeroy (hope I spelled it right) got me back on track with this project. I've got a Roban head and I needed to lengthen the ball links. I had some turnbuckles that would work great. In my efforts to remove the factory screw, it broke off in the L-lever. I totally destroyed the L-lever by trying to drill the screw. I was then I tried 4 or 5 vendors looking for the part. MRC showed the part on their site but was B/O. Once again Nelson came to the rescue! He had some extras. I got them installed within an hour of getting them.

Now I just need to finish the setup and try for a re-maiden Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3086.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	839733  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the bird ready for the remaiden. I had better results (so to speak) this time around. On my 2nd test flight (which lasted about 3 minutes) the heli suddenly dove earthbound. Not sure what happened.

Luckily, I had training gear on it which minimized the damage. From first glance, those turnbuckles I just fabricated broke, blades of course, probably main shaft, and tail slider is bound up.

But when it was flying, it looked good. I'll need more auto practice.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

ouch!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

A question I have, what is the gyro you are using?

Don
Old 02-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

That ar7200 that you have for sale would work awesome with that. I was going to suggest electronic blade phasing but, you are using the L arms.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in