Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > R/C Helicopter Event Forum

R/C Helicopter Event Forum Please add your events to this forum so people know where the action is

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By LegndarySaiyan
  • 2 Post By KSHeli
  • 1 Post By lentaa72
  • 2 Post By boogie12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IRCHA novice friendly?

Hello,

I was wanting to attend the 2018 IRCHA event but am concerned if it is novice friendly - i.e. if you can fly as a novice without feeling uncomfortable / intimitaded. My current abilities are FWD and Backwards upright flight - no loops / rolls yet...... Is this event mainly catering to the more professional / experienced pilots or are there areas where a novice can fly and hopefully learn a few things? I was hoping to attend and bring a small scale and Gaui X4ii.

Many thanks.
lentaa72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's absolutely friendly to pilots of all skill levels. There's tons of room to fly all over the ama property and I haven't seen anyone judge. It's just a bunch of people hanging out in a field that all love rc helis. You can't go wrong.
Dylan Hudock likes this.
-Phillip Johnson, AMA #954735
LegndarySaiyan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I attended my 1st IRCHA in 2012/2013, I walked out and hovered my Trex 500 at the 1st flight station east of center stage, one of the Compass team pilots spotted for me. After the flight he made some compliments on thr flight and gave a couple of pointers. I spotted for him and then walked over to some friends, "they said you flew where?" What's the big deal..
Go and enjoy! You will make a ton of new friends from all around the country, if not the world, I have. No one will put you down for your flying ability, unless you realllly screw up safety wise. Your spotter could well be either of the Kyle Stacy, Kyle Dahl, A.J. Jaffe, Dunkon, Nick Maxwell, etc they are all really great young men that are there to promote the sport they love as you do!
boogie12 and Dylan Hudock like this.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds great

I guess I'm more nervous with flying around a bunch of people - however lately when flying my 500 sized scale there are quite a few people who approach and watch so gradually getting more comfortable. really looking forward to attending.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

for sure go fly ! you wont be the worst pilot there thats my position , if room is a issue , fly at a end spot , at one fun fly Kyle D was on one side of me Jamie on the other , was all good ..
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

A novice can benefit the most, so much to see and learn. Fly in the morning (earlier the better) if you prefer flying with less people around then enjoy the other activities in the afternoons. Ask for someone to spot you and return the favor, no better way to meet other pilots.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.

Last edited by fastflyer20; 07-17-2018 at 04:59 AM..
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds inviting, may have to go one of these days. I'm not a novice, but I'm definitely not anywhere near the skills of those guys.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You definitely don't need to be anywhere near the pro level, even if you only hover you will advance in skill level and have one f-ing great time. I just fly to relieve stress and have a good time, I definitely don't see piroflipping in my near future, forward flight, stall turns, figure 8's, and flips/rolls keep me going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krager View Post
Sounds inviting, may have to go one of these days. I'm not a novice, but I'm definitely not anywhere near the skills of those guys.

Last edited by KSHeli; 07-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Sp.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,

I'm really looking forward to going and seeing all that goes on.
Thestructured likes this.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bring your stuff and fly no one is there to judge.
Dylan Hudock and PowerDyne like this.
boogie12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you're a big air sport flyer like me, you can either learn to fly out and back instead of side to side, or go to one of the secondary flying sites. At least one (site 3?) is usually set up for sport flying.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do most of my flying at site 3. Great bunch of people hang out over there.

ROG.
whitehedr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IRCHA 2013,2014, and 2016.

Hello, To answer your question, Yes, a novice can benefit without feeling inadequate. I enjoyed my first visit. My second visit was much less enjoyable. I would fly behind the camp site or off to the east or west or even the north. That would all end as the soon as the show would start. The speed run would close all but one flying site which was near the bathrooms. The full scale heli would have a huge portion of area shut down. Only choice would be to fly way far north ( involving renting a golf cart) or fly over on the main line ( waiting in line ). I emailed IRCHA about the full scale heli, which IMO should not be there ( MONEY TALKS ). So in a last ditch effort i went back in 2016 on hopes of a more RC friendly event and less Money oriented event. No change! I meet many pros, most of which where stand offish or clickish, maybe it was the pressure of the event or just sick and tired of dealing with green horns. Matt Botos was down to earth and a real pleasure.Nick Maxwell, Kyle Dayle, and Bobby Watts where less than personable. Please consider the source of this information, I am one person with an opinion, But i am not going to be somebody i am not, just so i can be liked by the few. BROMANCEING is not for me.
oldspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in