Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FrSky

FrSky FrSky product discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Companion won't recognize my Horus

I've got the latest OTX firmware version 2.3.10 and sdcard contents in my X12S without using OpenTX Companion. I cannot get Companion to read and write files from and to my Horus. This is not catastrophic, but it would be convenient if I could use Companion. The messages I get are:
"Your radio does not seem connected to USB or the driver is not initialized!!!'
and
on the "Write Firmware to Radio" window it says:
"Could not check firmware from radio"
"No DFU capable USB device found"
See attached photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	885203
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You haybe to hold the rudder and aileron trim tabs both toward center and power up. This gives the option to connect as a usb drive. Select that, then it will work.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
You haybe to hold the rudder and aileron trim tabs both toward center and power up. This gives the option to connect as a usb drive. Select that, then it will work.
I understand that you describe putting the Horus into bootloader mode and that is when the scenario I describe above occurs.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

To flash firmware with companion, the radio should be off. That's how I've always done it, and it's never failed.
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting, because that doesn't work for me. It doesn't seem to matter whether I try to flash firmware to the Horus or the Radiomaster TX16S, on or off. I get the same result.

Last edited by PassinThru; 10-16-2020 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: add clarification
PassinThru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably missing a driver then.
Unless you've used it before, you probably don't have the driver for DFU mode installed. And if you do, the one that Windows sometimes automatically installs will likely not work. You will need to install the correct one manually. Make sure your radio is off, then plug it in.

I've used ImpulseRC driver fixer, but others report zadig also works. ImpulseRC is what I used the first time I had to install the driver, and it's what I've been using since.
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I connect the USB data cable into the back of the (turned off) Horus, my PC (which is a powerful gaming computer that normally does everything well) does not "bing" and show another device connected to it.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassinThru View Post
When I connect the USB data cable into the back of the (turned off) Horus, my PC (which is a powerful gaming computer that normally does everything well) does not "bing" and show another device connected to it.
For my TARANIS, I have the radio switched on via the two front trim to put it into bootloader mode. USB then works fine. I'm not home to confirm if it will work with the TARANIS switched off.

YMMVWFM,
Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2020, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My USB connection doesn't work with the Horus in bootloader mode. I've tried to use ImpulseRC Driver Fixer as Keith has, but it cannot find my device either. Maybe I'll try Zadig.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zadig doesn't do it either. I think I probably did what Zadig's creator warned against doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in