Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default b400 veterans

to the people that started out with a blade 400 and have flown it for at least 6 months (or cx2 then moved up to the b400) what expo settings did you start out with and what are they now?
Punkin71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+10 for a few weeks.. then lowered by 1 each day I flew... you do want to get to INH (0) that's best! Some even go negative!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

so far I've worked my way down to 7% on cyclic and 10% on tail. I wish I had more room close to home to let her do what she really wants to do!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I disagree with the need to get to zero Expo or INH.

Remember that Expo can be used to make the circular movement of the servo arm linear.

There's a great thread on the Trex forum explaining that expo is not necessarily just for beginners in that it turns the circular movement of the servo arm into linear motion translated to the linkages.

Here are some quotes from that thread:

By:TomRex

Quote:
I see this stuff about linear this and that, most if not any of you have seen or remember the old linear moment servos from the 70's, the ones with the eyelet on a long screw,now that was linear. The whole point of adding expo is to mimic a linear throw, you nay sayers think about your geometry before responding......

By: Gary JP4

Quote:
Like TomRex said above, expo can be used to make a circular servo, like we all use, mimic a linear servo. Since our servos output a circular motion and given that you are set up with mid stick in the middle of travel with the servo arm 90 degrees to the actuator rod there is more linear movement near the middle then at the ends (20 degrees from the middle gives more linear response then 20 degrees at the ends) in response to the same stick movement. Expo can smooth this out into a more linear response. So, without expo we don't get linear response on the servo

Here's a link to the whole thread.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=44882

BTW, I started with around 25% on cyclic and 10% on rudder.
I'm down to 15% cylic, 5% rudder and will probably keep it there.
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good points. Truth is one can get used to anything. If I went up to %15 is would feel very slow to me. I never used expo on the tail. Just experiment until you like how it feels I suppose.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I started out with 80 DR and 25 expo and left it there till flight 80 then quickly went to 100 and inh. I started using sim at flight 80 and I found I couldn't fly my real heli like the sim because of DR and expo.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

never really thought about it like that wolfpackin, but your post does make sense. but I think getting used to a more sensitve center stick can only help develop skills.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Just experiment until you like how it feels I suppose.
+1
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbie623 View Post
to the people that started out with a blade 400 and have flown it for at least 6 months (or cx2 then moved up to the b400) what expo settings did you start out with and what are they now?

i got my cx2 in january of last year, then got a fixed pitch heli and flew that from march-june then got my b400 in early june and been flying primarily it since the end of the summer....

I turned my D/R settings on both elevator aileron down to 90% (this limits overall servo throw)

Then I added POSITIVE expo 30% elevator and 35% aileron( the expo curve does not begin to take a noticeable effect until above 25%)

Rudder remains unchanged

after doing that the heli became way more manageable,.....you may also want rueduce the amount of negative pitch you have in normal mode......this will keep you from slamming the heli into the gorund in the event you want to "chop stik"

Currently my D/R is 95% for both but still the same expo settings of 30 and 35......gotten used to the way the sticks respond at these setting and changing them I fear wouold throw my muscle memory to crap
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And you fly great! Another vote for "when you like how it feels" I guess... so really there are no rules!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
And you fly great! Another vote for "when you like how it feels" I guess... so really there are no rules!

thanks sly.....i dont know if its "great"...lol...deff got it smoothed out though but now i need to start working on the exotic stuff and catch up to guys like you and sokal ......if i could get a few calm days in a row i could really work on getting my stall turns perfected so when i go to pull the trigger on my first loop, the recovery will be second nature should the heli decide it dosnt want to pull through,....also been working on my "Split S" in the sim, also a form of recovery from the loop, split-s-ing out of a loop uses alot less altitude in a failed attempt but requires more co-ordination IMO.....kinda a user preference there i guess....
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had to re set everything at first, but im running about 20-30(i change it if its windy)
helidevil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "RTF" B400 is my first heli. Initially I thought the tail was too fast so I tried expo, but I turned it off after one flight since even 25% couldn't make much difference with the limited stick motions that I was using while running through the RADD program. After this realization, I decided to use stock the tx curves and remain satisfied with them to this day.

I was never happy about the stock rudder throw binding the tail slider (at perhaps 2/3 stick) so I soon adjusted the tail servo to use the innermost hole on the tail servo horn. You really need to raise the tail servo towards the boom if you do this mod, and can likely increase your gyro gain to 77%.

I'm still using the stock gyro and tail servo and (using frame-by-frame video measurements) the heli still pirouettes at 120 rpm (2 revs per second). I don't suffer from any wag or kick on the tail.

By using the inner hole on the horn, and based on the concept that wolfpackin has related to us, I am operating with something akin to negative expo on the tail.

xspare is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade~400~er View Post
t....also been working on my "Split S" in the sim, also a form of recovery from the loop, split-s-ing out of a loop uses alot less altitude in a failed attempt but requires more co-ordination IMO.....kinda a user preference there i guess....
I think you might have a misconception about the split-s:
"A Split-S is a very useful positioning maneuver, since it turns you around and you drop a bit of altitude"
Do you mean you're bailing out at the top half of a botched inside loop (by rolling to level flight) and turning it into an immelman, or are you talking about turning it into a half cuban-eight by rolling out of inverted at 5/8ths of the inside loop and pulling back up into level flight?

If you think you're in deep doodoo as approaching 5/8ths, then I expect you're probably better off skipping the roll and transitioning to the outside loop by going negative on the collective, pushing the cyclic forward, and pulling negative g's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobatic_maneuver

xspare is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

While I started out on the mcx, then cx2, I found in each case I began with a good bit of expo (like +30%) and now have NEG expo on both. I've had the b400 now for nearly two months. I started out with 90% & +30% expo on everthing but 85% & +5%expo rudder. In a month it was down to 25% expo on the cyclic.

As soon as I removed the training skids, she was moving faster, and I felt I was making this huge and slow (due to movement distance) stick changes to keep up. Then I reduced down to 15%, bingo! I like having it react more with lesser movement now, and I feel more comfortable! I also bumped all the limits, except the rudder, up to 100% now as well.
mr2mkii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspare View Post
I think you might have a misconception about the split-s:
"A Split-S is a very useful positioning maneuver, since it turns you around and you drop a bit of altitude"
Do you mean you're bailing out at the top half of a botched inside loop (by rolling to level flight) and turning it into an immelman, or are you talking about turning it into a half cuban-eight by rolling out of inverted at 5/8ths of the inside loop and pulling back up into level flight?

If you think you're in deep doodoo as approaching 5/8ths, then I expect you're probably better off skipping the roll and transitioning to the outside loop by going negative on the collective, pushing the cyclic forward, and pulling negative g's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobatic_maneuver

i guess i had my slpit s and cuban 8 mixed up buu yea i meant bailing out at the top half of a inside loop (by rolling to level flight) and turning it into an immelman .....like i was telling sly ive got upright flight nailed dwon but ive yet to break that 90 degree barrier....and i wish i could show you with a vid but im simless.... currently awaiting my copy of pheonix......i kicked real flight to the curb today...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started out witha Blade CP Pro, a very very twitchy little rascal. When I got my 400 a month later, I set my expo to -35% (Yes, thats NEGATIVE) I guess I got so used to the CP Pro that the 400 just felt way to mushy... Now, I've been flying the 400 for about 7 months, and I think I'm up to -10% now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in