Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quick World Wide

Quick World Wide QWW Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS Pilot
Whats with the extra long bolt under the main gear?? Also why are all the washer shanging over the edges??
The bolt under the main gear is not the one I'll be using... that was the first one I grabbed out of the pile to assemble the main shaft and gear for a quick photo.... :wink:

The "washers" are actually finishing caps for the SHCS's. Their diameter is larger than other finishing caps I've seen. I actually like them in the sense that it spreads the load over a larger area. Unfortunately, when you use them around the edges of the frames, a little of the finishing cap protrudes past the frame....no big deal...
JuanRodriguez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Q50 clutch is the same size as the Audacity Tiger clutch ... identical enough that I used the Q50 fan hub and clutch shoe assembly in place of the Tigers. Heh.

I have the Q50 and loves how it flies.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, all I can say is "good luck" to you. You couldn't get me to fly a Quick WW helicopter if it were the last helicopter brand on Earth.

3 years of listening to firsthand reports of Irwin's "customer service" - along with my own personal encounter with him - are enough to convince me that I would rather eat lint than support QWW.

As it has been eloquently stated already by my esteemed friend Rudy, there are two types of Quick customers: Those who have already been screwed by Irwin, and those who will soon be screwed by Irwin.
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
ShawnK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5334
The Q50 clutch is the same size as the Audacity Tiger clutch ... identical enough that I used the Q50 fan hub and clutch shoe assembly in place of the Tigers. Heh.
The Audacity folks probably "borrowed" the design !! :wink:

Quote:
I have the Q50 and loves how it flies.
Thanx for all the comments so far. Please keep them coming !!!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hi all, I'm back....

....and a little closer to "home plate".....

After having completed the motor/fan/clutch assembly , I decided that I wanted to install a Trottle Jockey governor... Actually, I __forgot__ that I had wanted to use it initially until the assembly was completed ! They say that the memory is the SECOND thing that goes !!

After mounting the bracket and carefully marking the "spot" where the magnet should go, I dissasembled the unit in order to drill the mounting hole for the magnet. The fan does not have a "moulded divot" for the magnet so the installation is left up to the user. I had to do the same for a CNC TT cooling fan which did not have the "divots" either...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1559.jpg (607.8 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1556.jpg (513.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1557.jpg (413.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1558.jpg (604.4 KB, 300 views)
Old 06-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am getting excited...
Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any updates?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the boom assembly, along with the C.F. boom supports, fins, etc.... installed. Need to mount the canopy, make up the push rods and set up the radio....

So, not too far from test flying...

I'll update later with more pics....

Time availability is still killing me.... good thing I have the internet at work so that I can take a break here and there !!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Skip out early
Old 06-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Juan,

What paddles does your Q50 have?

Also, can you check the length of the link between the flybar and hiller arm? On both of my Q50 and Gas Her, the link was too long.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Mike,

Sorry for taking so long to respond..... for some reason, I didn't get a notify through email that you had responded to this post...

I'm not sure makes the paddles.... they are black and have the Quick logo engraved on them... I can send you a pic if you would like....

I'll check that measurement for you later when I get things finalized.... I'm thinking that the manual's push rod lengths are a recommended starting poing and then you work from there...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #32 (permalink)

How much is Irwin paying you for the build?
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm in the home stretch !!!

PHOTO-1...Push rod assembly made easy with a link tool chucked up in a drill. Links were made to order using a caliper with the Vario "posts" which are attached to the caliper jaws....

PHOTO-2....May be hard to see in this photo but for mounting the canopy, I installed a setscrew ground to a point at each of the four canopy mounting stand-offs.... The canopy can then be slipped on to place and adjusted as needed. The sharpened setscrews not only held the canopy in place but also gave me a slight "bump" on the outside of the canopy to mark for drilling... This canopy comes already "pre-painted" so shining a light from the inside to get your mark is more difficult....

PHOTO-3... Here you can see I have drilled the first two mounting holes on the left side and the canopy is temporarily held in place by two 3 mm SHCS's while the rest of the alignment is checked and marked for drilling.....The trick to getting a nice canopy mounting job is to take it slow and mark and drill one mounting point at a time..... that way, minor adjustments and a more accurate job can be done. I used a very sharp hand reammer made by Dynamite (popular with the car guys) to "drill" the holes.... very easy to get the hole started in the proper place and the size to exactly what you need.

The rest of the assembly has gone relatively smooth..... all that is needed now is final radio installation and programming followed by some test flying !! I'll keep you all posted !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1573.jpg (495.3 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1572.jpg (408.0 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1568.jpg (490.2 KB, 267 views)
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Finished !!!

First Test Flights !!

It's been a month since I started this thread. It has given me great pleasure building this machine and seeing the end results come together nicely !! Irwin and the QWW crew were very helpful in answering any questions "quickly" (pun intended !) and with taking care of some very minor issues already documented here.....

I need to clarify something before porceeding.... As stated above, I started this thread about one month ago..... My attitude has been that I would build the machine at a leisurely pace and in my "spare time" (yea, what's that ??) as to not be in a hurry to just throw things together. In reality, this machine can be easily put together in less than half of the time it took me to complete... probably less than a week for the average builder, for sure....

That being said, I had the opportunity to test fly the machine yesterday afternoon..... The OS 50 fired right up without hesitation (no surprise there), followed by a decent "range test" with the motor running. With all systems go, the Q50 lifted off at three quarter stick (as expected) and settled into a smooth hover....The only mechanical adjustments needed were one turn on a ball link to get the tracking perfect and about 3 clicks of forward... Not sure if the forward trim was due to the rather windy conditions...Motorwise, the OS was initially running too rich and took several clicks to lean it some before making some power.

The first tank was flown without the canopy while making adjustments to the motor, followed by the TJ Pro to get the headspeed to about 1750. I'll probably bump that up a bit more later on....

Second tank with the canopy in place was spent on doing some forward flight, slow and fast, to get familiar with the feel of the machine then followed by some non-agressive type of aerobatics..... My buddy Al got to fly it as well....By the end of the second flight, the weather had deteriorated to the point where the wind and visibility were as such that to continue to fly would not have been fun.... The white canopy was blending in so well with the storm clouds overhead that orientation (other than just hovering around) would have been an issue...My body and fender buddy, Rodney, is going to be doing a "custom" paint job on the canopy rather than using the decals included in the kit.

My first impressions of the machine is that the Q50 is very SMOOTH, stable and predictable....One visual "moothness" indicator I key in on in additon to the overall heli is the fuel in the tank. My Q50's fuel while in the hover was dead still....

In FFF, the Q50's tracking was excellent, despite the windy/gusty conditions. Without naming brands, other 50's I've flown do suffer in that respect. One 60 I had a while back was so "pitchy" in FFF that I decided to get rid of it !!....I'm not sure what the difference is with the Q50 other than the head design and tight tolerances which result in an absolutely slop free setup. Unlike some other 50's I've flown, the Q50 also sports an 8mm head spindle as well as a 4 mm flybar. The BC6- Flight Monitor showed absolutely no glitching during the flights.

If it sounds like I'm pleased with the machine, you are right !!

Here is the basic setup....

OS 050 SX-H (to be replaced with a Hyper when I can afford it)
TT50 Muffler (I would like to see a Curtis pipe on this)
JR 811's for all except tail (8311's in the future ?)
JR 10X with PCM 649 Rx
Dean's Whip
Fut. 401/9253
TJ Pro Gov
Electro-Dynamics 1700 NiCad (custom with 2 leads)
BC6-Battery Monitor/ Glitch counter
SAB 600 Fiberglass Mains

Here are a few pics I took of the "event".... Additional flying reports to follow......

Photo-1 Completed heli ready for blades......

Photo-2 Spiral wrap to protect the wiring agains chafing on carbon frames...

Photo-3 Neatness counts, in my opinion.....

Photo-4 Just in case, a "before" pic..... Can you see the grin on my face ???

Photo-5 Q50 in a stable hover....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1589.jpg (1.31 MB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1585.jpg (1.44 MB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1582.jpg (879.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1581.jpg (747.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1575.jpg (1.08 MB, 295 views)
Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good Job Juan

I actually saw two fly this weekend at Fredricksburg.

https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=15626

One went in hard but only broke the blades the other flew a bit heavy even with the hyper 50 in it (in my opinion). I guess the good news is they are durable!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

That they are durable, and they do fly heavy. I managed to play wack-the-boom with my Q50 yesterday during an auto. The only damage was the boom ... nothing else broken or bent.

I'm considering getting a OS 60 heli engine for the Q50 and adding some 620mm blades. Weight would go up by 4oz, but the extra stump pulling power of that 60 engine would easily make up for it. Besides, the Q50 is physically a 60 sized ship already.

Everything you said about how it flies, Juan, is exactly how mine flies. You are going to love it!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanx....

Thanx, Dan.....

I hope to add to the comments once I've had the chance to fly it some more..... My other buddies will have a go at it as well.....

Mike,

Thanx for your comments.....

Have you looked into what it would take to convert it to a 60 ?? Just for "future" reference.... :wink:
Old 07-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default More time on the sticks....

I had the opportunity to fly the Q-50 some more on Sunday and I have to say that the machine is flying SWEET. The weather was HOT and rather windy/gusty but the Q-50 seems to handles the wind very well. During my last flight, I was having so much fun (literally) with it that I lost track of time and ran the darned thing out of fuel !!!

Yep, a real "emergency" auto followed.......I was able to save the machine with absolutely no damage !!! ...... During the previous flight I had done a few "practice" autos to get a feel for the machine and boy am I glad I did !!

I hope everyone had a good weekend with an opportunity to do some flying yourselves
Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep being ready for an unexpected auto is always a GOOD THING
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Luck" was on my side as well on this one !! Too windy and gusty to fly my plank again... (Ultimate with a YS 110 Supercharged) but comfortable enough for the heli stuff....

I almost always end each heli flight with 5 or 6 "intentional" autos.... just for fun plus the practice aspect.....

When the engine out situation came up, I guess instinct took over and it just happened.....you don't have time to think about it.... so I guess the "repetition" paid off !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in