Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hit bird today

or the bird crashed into me.....oh well i nursed him and he took off like a bat out of hell
finfan882002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

how bad did you messup the heli, were you in norm or idle 1.
jhheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

idle..........i recoverded bout 4 feet from the ground...........heli fell bout 40 feet
finfan882002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hit a Seagull one day killed the bird and totaled my 450XL it was gross!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have nearly hit a eagle it was chasing my heli like it wanted to mate with it i put her down and waited for it to piss off !!! LOL i didnt want to see the mess my heli would have made to it and my heli
Definition: 3D as applied to current rc helicopter flying is any maneuver that to be performed requires the constant harmonized input of three or more controls simultaneously while the maneuver is taking place.
satchy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrill View Post
I hit a Seagull one day killed the bird and totaled my 450XL it was gross!

One of the guys on RCuniverse did that on his maiden flight with an HBK2 and completely destroyed his heli. We all rallied together and pitched in to buy him a new one.
Rosebud6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Poor seagull... Those things are often older than I am. It seems a shame when they die.

I once had my heli chased by a seagull who decided, at the last moment, to break off. I never knew a seagull's turning radius was so small. It was actually very funny.

On a bicycle, there's a debate about whether to try to avoid cats, squirrels etc... and I think the consensus is to hold your course - you're more likely to hit them if you both take evasive action as then neither knows quite what the other is going to do. I suspect, though I don't know, that holding one's ground with a helicopter is also the best course of action. Most birds are maneuverable enough to hit a helicopter if they really want to so making them believe that you're meaner and badder than they are is actually probably the best course of action.
wlfk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Magpies around my area are regularly having a go at my helis, wether its my 450 or 600. When they get to about 4-6 feet away, the birds start backing off real quick. Agile little buggers.
Even the Willy Wag Tails like to have a go and they are only as big as your hand.
trippergreenfeet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

[quote=wlfk;1180680]Poor seagull... Those things are often older than I am. It seems a shame when they die.

Seriously??! These things are flying rats! If I could figure out a way to take them out of the sky without f'ing up my heli... I'd build it.
wparmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have had Red Tailed Hawks have a go at the 450 about five or six times over the last couple of years. It has happened at different locations all over the US. They come out of no where and dive on the heli. I think it's a territorial thing. They always look serious and are usually tucked in a dive with talons coming out when I see them and going very fast. They don't look like they are going to back off so I always bring it down like a powered brick and land. I have had them hang around after I landed and latter take off again. They usually have another go.
Gary JP4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
These things are flying rats! If I could figure out a way to take them out of the sky without f'ing up my heli... I'd build it.
Razor blades on the blade tips!

Try holographic blade stickers, they work here!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
These things are flying rats!
I thought that was pigeons. I still like seagulls. Magpies and other corbids are also favourites - I'm always amazed the cram such intelligence into a brain the size of a bean.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had a bat try to make out with my transmitter once....maybe it heard some kind of mating call coming out of it...AM 27mhz rc car stuff. I probably looked like a fool doing some kind of sword fight with the thing!!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I had a bat try to make out with my transmitter once...
You win! That's priceless.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default OT

I hooked a bat flyfishing not too long ago.

The bat grabbed my fly just as it was hitting the surface of a glassy pond. He started to fly away taking my fly line into the air.
If you don't know what fly line looks like it's thick and usually brightly colored. It was very strange to see my line going up into the darkening sky instead of down towards the water.

Anyway I reeled him in and pinned the bat down on the ground with my net. At that point the hook fell out of the bats mouth and he flew away when I lifted the net.

...good thing because I'm not sure how I would have released him otherwise.

Sorry, I couldn't resist telling that story for any other fishermen out there.

Now, back to our regular programming.
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
good thing because I'm not sure how I would have released him otherwise
I would have found it a real dilemma. A pretty high proportion of bats carry rabies and if you had been bitten the chances of getting infected would be significant. Something to bear in mind if it happens again...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfk View Post
I would have found it a real dilemma. A pretty high proportion of bats carry rabies and if you had been bitten the chances of getting infected would be significant. Something to bear in mind if it happens again...
Good call on the rabies....most of the rabies in bats in the us are in the ohio valley....but a good idea to be careful nonetheless!!

Speaking of bats....did anyone see the episode with a bat in The Office....guy catches bat while it is on someones head....funny!!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

you didn't end up in a river did you???
smoothie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Yes I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Conejos river 10-01-08.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	86573  
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
zen
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfk View Post
According to 'net resources I looked up when I found the first bat flying in the hallway in the apartment building I manage, 99% of brown bats do not have rabies. Ones that do have the disease usually look disheveled and behave erratically. I have caught three of the critters (so far) flying in the halls or sleeping above the picture rail of this 1928 building during cold, wet weather. My 'bat alarm' is usually a piercing scream from a female resident.

As for birds, I have gone 'pigeon wrangling' with my Blade CP Pro and Trex. There are about a hundred of them in the ball field I fly in on weekend mornings. They take off en masse and wheel and whirl as a group to avoid the helicopter.

T-rex 500 ESP
zen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in