Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Contest Flying

Contest Flying Contest Flying F3C/AMA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AMA Class1 - Last maneuver & idle up

Hi all

A quick question for those practicing AMA C1, the last maneuver "Landing Approach to Eye Level Hover" may require switching from Idle up (Flying upstairs) back to Normal (Hovering). Any special technique to prep your curves to avoid the "mode switch jerk" while descending?

Option1
Switch back to Normal mode before execution. However my Normal mode is for hovering, bottom stick at -3 with no GV-1 feels like autorotation !!

Option2
Continue using Idle up til the maneuver is over, after the end call then switch to Normal and kill engine.

Any other idea?

Thanks, Jay
tgxtrf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Jay,

Why not switch to normal mode before declaring the final maneuver? That way you can get all situated before the judging begins.

[edit], dang my reading skills are terrible. I see where you stated basically the same thing. So, what you're really worried about is flying the maneuver in a mode that feels like an auto. Hmm..I'll have to think on that one. The rules say you just need a constant decent rate. I believe that you could manage that without a governor, and still make it nice and constant.

Honestly, I'm still flying that one backwards (from eye-level back up to the start) to get the entry point and slope right. So, I don't know yet how I'll tackle the entry yet either.

-Joey

Last edited by head_node; 07-16-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: illiteracy
head_node is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are coming in with that much negative pitch, you are coming in too fast. Take it slower, maintaining a constant descent rate and angle. That angle is not required to be 45°, only that it be constant from the point you call the start of the manuever (at least 10M up and 10M out).

You should be able to easily perform this manuever in normal, hovering flight mode, as it is simply a slow, steady, hovering descent to eye level.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgxtrf View Post
Hi all

A quick question for those practicing AMA C1, the last maneuver "Landing Approach to Eye Level Hover" may require switching from Idle up (Flying upstairs) back to Normal (Hovering). Any special technique to prep your curves to avoid the "mode switch jerk" while descending?

Option1
Switch back to Normal mode before execution. However my Normal mode is for hovering, bottom stick at -3 with no GV-1 feels like autorotation !!

Option2
Continue using Idle up til the maneuver is over, after the end call then switch to Normal and kill engine.

Any other idea?

Thanks, Jay
ErichF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

How the 10m up are measured?

Francesco
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

AGL
heliwreckr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

"How the 10m up are measured?"

By eye. The 10m is a minimum. I teach the class 1 guys to go far out and stablish a smooth 30degress slope with steady and smooooth decend, as they get close to 10m, call the begining.

Chago
plankdriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks

So it's more on the smoothness than on precise measurement.

Francesco
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So it's more on the smoothness than on precise measurement.
For the approach, yes.

Tip as to when to switch back from Idle-up to Normal...after the roll is "complete" - either before you start your turn to setup the approach - or just after the turn.

Take your time after the turn...get the heli settled and lined-up...halt forward flight or get it to a crawl...then get your descent established (obviously further out & up than the 10m x 10m)...call the beginning of the last move after you've already got it looking as pretty as possible and near the 10m x 10 m mark.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found coming to a complete stop before the maneuver was easier. Stop, flip into normal, begin to draw your line and once established call the start. Remember you're only judged after your caller stays 'starting now' so having a good line and decent started before saying start is important.
WreckRman2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in