Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin1977 View Post
Cool stuff.. got any video of it flying?

Martin
just finished it a few hours ago. so not yet
lookin for another Vibe 50
invertmast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Talk about a diversity in projects!
Bullitt5094 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Talk about a diversity in projects!
ya gotta keep it interesting
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
ya gotta keep it interesting

AKA too wussy to fly his helis.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

gettin some work done on the wings:

Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=be5_1247196550

This is kinda cool. Time lapse of building a super hornet.

I have a gyrokite basically an auto gyro kite shaped like a heli. only good in moderate to strong winds though.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingDrongo View Post
LiveLeak.com - Constructing A Super Hornet: "A time lapse of the construction of a Super Hornet"

This is kinda cool. Time lapse of building a super hornet.

I have a gyrokite basically an auto gyro kite shaped like a heli. only good in moderate to strong winds though.
Thats a cool vid! thanks for posting it.

One more short update before bed.

Both wings are framed and ready for sheeting. I have to install the leading edges for the slats still and havent decided if i will do that before or after the wing sheeting. Most likely i'll do that before the sheeting so it will be 2 more "planks" of wood to keep the wings from twisting and bowing. As usual with scratch building, some of the wing ribs had to be adjusted for the spars to fit in place, but this was just a minor setback and didn't slow me down to much... Well, here's some more more pictures:

Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm curious if you get a stressed back working over that bench? I thought it would be a bit more comfortable if it were a bit higher? And considering how monumental the build is gonig to be. What type of OH&S ergonomic steps do you take to get comfy for the long haul? BTW I think your build is inspiring, astonishing...... words can't describe really. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingDrongo View Post
I'm curious if you get a stressed back working over that bench? I thought it would be a bit more comfortable if it were a bit higher? And considering how monumental the build is gonig to be. What type of OH&S ergonomic steps do you take to get comfy for the long haul? BTW I think your build is inspiring, astonishing...... words can't describe really. Looking forward to seeing more.
I built the table low so that when i begin building the fuselage, i can reach the entire top side of it, and so it would be comfortable to stand over (fuselage is about 18" off the top of the table top). Building the wings and tails, I typically just pull up a chair and lean over to get to work, or neal down beside it...

If i had the room, i would of had a 2nd table thats about 12" taller than the one in the photo's so i could stand up and work on the wings and tails comfortable, but as you can see in the pictures, space is somewhat of a premium in my shop/room.

But i do get a stiff and hurting back when i'm standing up and leaning over the building table unfortunately...
Old 07-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Few more update shots of the wings. I had intentions of sheeting them today, but the more i looked at it, the more it became apparent that i wouldn't be able to get the 2 root ribs in place accurately, which would post a big problem, as these are the ribs that the pivot bearing holder mounts to..

The initial response was to sheet the top of the wing, then remove from the building board, sheet the bottom, then sand the leading edges and make the slats. But in doing so, i would end up with the problem above...

So what i ended up doing was modifying the 2 inner root ribs by cutting off the leading edges of them. This allows them to be installed to the wing and then the wings sheeted on the top and the bottom. Since the leading edges are removed (they are just big balsa blocks anyways b/c they are carved to fit into the fuselage in this area) I am still able to sand and shape the wing leading edge and the slats. This took me the better part of 3 hours to figure out and lots of head scratching. I've got one wing ready for sheeting now, and the other will be ready by the end of the night. I believe tomorrow is date night with the wife, so i probly wont get any wing sheeting done until saturday.

here's some pictures of the wing process and the big ole sanding block (4 foot bubble level w/ self adhesive sand paper).

I'll have another update later this evening when i get the other wing pivot block and ribs in place.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2nd update for the night:

Both wings are ready for skinning. The pivot blocks are installed in the wings as well. You have to be carefull when installing these, as the pivot needs to be perfectly vertical in 2 directions, or the wing will swing in an arc and throw off the incidences and screw all sorts of things up when you sweep them. The second picture shows the upper wing skins glued together and ready to glue to the structure. I may get off work early tomorrow and come home to sheet the wings, then come saturday i'll sheet the bottom of the wings and install the 2nd leading edge cap.

And THEN i can get a few pics of the wings mounted to the fuselage bulkheads and the temporary wing box.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #52 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Do the SweetTarts help?

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
Do the SweetTarts help?
of course!!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The basic wing structure is complete.. The leading edge is ready for final shaping, and the flight controls are ready to be cut out and capped. I'll probably wait to do this until after the basic fuselage is done. Reason being, since this wont be a flying model, i'm not going to spend the time to hinge everything. So with the flaps and all still attached to the wings, it will make for an easier time building the wing glove on the fuselage.. So the next updates should have some progress with the fuselage...

Here's a few pictures..

Last edited by invertmast; 07-17-2009 at 10:12 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not to be picky or anything but it would be really cool if you would turn the pics right-side-up. I'm gettting a crick in my neck.
Bullitt5094 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Not to be picky or anything but it would be really cool if you would turn the pics right-side-up. I'm gettting a crick in my neck.
no problem at all, just flip the monitor on its side
Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #57 (permalink)
NERD

Hmmmmm, I think you should have went bigger.....
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymedes View Post
Hmmmmm, I think you should have went bigger.....
i was thinking the same thing!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Since the turbine in my eurosport wouldnt start at all this weekend, i decided to give up on attempting to fly (and it would figure its clear blue skies and no wind at all). So after about 4 trips to lowes and home-depot and constantly arguing with those people i finally got some stuff done on the tomcat. The jig setup you see in the photos is probably what i'm going to go with.. It consists of a 1/2" thick piece of ply that runs the length of the fuselage down the center-line, and another that runs down the intake / exhaust centerline. I then have a piece screwed to the end of the table with 2 holes drilled in it (at the center of the intake/exhaust center lines). A 5 foot piece of 1" electrical conduit runs from this to the forward most intake former, where i have another cross piece w/ 3 holes drilled in it. This cross piece receives the intake centerline conduits, then another conduit runs the length of the fuselage (this piece of conduit goes into the center hole) then i have another upright that is attached to the end of the 1/2" ply centerline jig (used for spacing) that receives the end of the fuselage center line conduit. Pictures probably work better, so look below.

Since i got this far, i couldn't help but put the stabs and one wing panel on (the second one wouldn't fit b/c my shop is to small). So here's pictures of that. I've got to adjust the aft wing box bulkhead another inch, so i can get the wings to swing back completely.. Gotta go pickup a better laser level tomorrow, and i should be able to get the fuselage bulkheads attached together w/ 1/4" square balsa pieces, and then i can start the planking.

Lots of pictures today:

So does everyone think its big enough?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

not only is it too small, but you need to build FASTER
asdf1234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in