Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shortened my Sticks

So i was programming some new numbers in my TX.. and as i was moving around my sticks i realized, i never once, in the three years ive been flying ever even thought about lowering the sticks. Since ive built and have been trying to dial in my new rex500 ive been experimenting with negative expos and such looking for the right "feeling".. so i dropped both sticks to the base. The set screw is now kind of flush with the crown and its an entirely new feeling on my thumbs. I took her up about 15 minutes ago and man!!! now THATS what ive been missing.. that thing flew like i never dreamed. It was so tight. Im not sure i can really articulate what it is that happened, but i somehow felt, i dunno, more 'connected' to the bird.. This strange feeling of confidence arose and i swear if it was day time i might have gone for my first invert right then and there. anyway, it really made my night, and i cant believe all this time something that small wouldve made such a major change.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey thats cool flip. It allows you to input more movement with a shorter throw. I also fly that way. I have also found that when the gimbals are sharp, the cyclic gymbal will try to roll off the thumb in a stirring action like piro flips. So it may seem weird but I sanded the spikes on the gimbal down a bit so they wouldnt want to hold so much. So now they give just a little on my thumb. It lets me do piro flips without the gimbal rolling off of my thumb. I am a pinch flyer but I put more pressure on my thumbs. Either way, its that small things that all add up to your own perfect setup.
Trex 600N OS55HZ-R Funtech Pipe Edge Blades Edge Tails Edge Paddles BLS 451 cyclics BLS 251 tail Gy701 gyrogov JR DS9411 Throttle Spectrum AR8000 Arizona Fromeco Switchglow Pro FlightPower EonX Lite 2500
Trex 450,Thanks Marv!
Nutsinboltz27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

with longer sticks it feels like there is more expo, as you have to move the stick more to get the desired movement. I also fly with the gimbals all the way down. I have my Tx so personalised for me (stick tension and height) that when I use anyone else's it feels really weird and uncomfortable.
I like running a fairly stiff rudder stick so I dont un-intentionally make any rudder inputs when playing with the elevator (mode 1)
legine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have to agree with you on the short sticks. And i also tighting up the rudder to stop any un wanted inputs. it does feel very differant to fly but now im used to it i couldnt fly any other way..
wanna.b.3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A while back I shortened the sticks (brought them in to lowest setting, tightened the gimbals fully, and put stick toppers on (thumbs), and its been much better. A little getting used to it, but much better.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I setup my TX with the left stick .1000" shorter than the right stick. Just feels better to me that way. I have them measured so I can transfer to other TXs. A little OCD for sure.
RMG2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Talking

I cut/sanded about 5mm off the bottom of my sticks on my JR 9X11 a very long time ago as my little thumbs seemed to be stretching all the time , when I fly other peoples heli's now it just dont seem right , im glad I done this and will do so on my next radio.

My sticks are so short that I also had to trim the inner spindle as they were sticking through the tops of the sticks.
lightning rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

well i fly pinch on my cyclic stick and thumb on my throttle stick, so its a but weird but my cyclic stick is about 1/4 longer than my throttle....

love the feeling though.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeah, i really liked the feeling of the tip being rounded off a bit.. was so used to that hollow barbed metal feeling.. i might go in there and file those down a little bit myself..
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

I am a thumber and had to lower my sticks all the way down. Only then my thumbs lie on the stick ends correctly to have a connected, controlled and precise input.

Best,
Frank
Tail boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i too experimented with lowering my sticks tonight..was flying the msr...i and i deff noticded a more connected feeling with the sticks lowered all the way and i toss that thing around like it owes me money ...i really wanna do some testing with my bigger helis tomm... but that will have to wait till sunday ...
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in