Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters - Tandem

Multi Rotor Helicopters - Tandem Multi Rotor Helicopters - Tandem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default V-22 Osprey

Has anybody managed to build a fully-functional scale model of the V-22 Ospray Tilt-rotor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

i've seen one on youtube, but many of them are just sideways tandems with swash plates on the necels.

Stuff for sale
CF_Machete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I'd like to see one where the rotors tilt forward and it does forward flight. I would assume it would be very tricky converting from helicopter-flight conditions to forward flight conditions.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have not done a full transition ,,but have been part way there ,, and then had mechanical problems ... and yes it is very hard to have a fully functioning bird that can hover good and make the full transition into airplane mode as somewhere in there you have to start turning off heli controls and gyro's and bring in the airplane controls only .
A lot of the youtube ones are just jump into the air and slap it around the sky with overpowered light profile fuselages and trex size mechanics .
This bird is 52 " wingspan using 2 - O.S. 46 motors and weighs in at 19.5 lbs with fuel .It isn't as little as it looks on the video .

Enjoy this video and crash ,,, I haven't had time to work on it since this as life throws us all curves ,,but some day

Video of 60 degree transition and pancake :

http://scalerchelis.com/g2/main.php/...7b317cf38306dd
v22chap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_&_Omega View Post
i've seen one on youtube, but many of them are just sideways tandems with swash plates on the necels.
Don't the real V22's have swashplates controlling the pitch of the blades? Certainly wikipedia suggests they do.
Knight3D/3DX450/BeamE4/4#3B/5G6-1
Contributor to http://www.rcheliwiki.com/
unwind-protect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Code:
Don't the real V22's have swashplates controlling the pitch of the blades?

Yes they do .... it has the full cyclic control that any helicopter has ,,plus the DCP ( differential collective pitch ) that the chinook tandems have . and basically it is a sideways tandem. Matter of fact I am using Tech model helicopters Tandem mixer in this latest bird .
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwolf View Post
Has anybody managed to build a fully-functional scale model of the V-22 Ospray Tilt-rotor?
hey, ive been keeping track of this guy, scratch built turbine osprey...its so cool, everything is made by him...he is a god!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMPvrxAHZs[/ame]
family man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out this website. Looks like these one will be a good kit. I hope to get one.

www.rotormast.com
Old 09-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have mine ordered already and have some pictures to share of the production fuselage . been talking with Tom the designer .. It is going to be one awsome simple tilt rotor ... all control is done through a computer chip that monitors the rotor RPM and collective , and the 3 - 401 gyro's and it will control all that is needed to do a conversion , right down to changing pitch when needed and reversing the controls from heli to airplane mode and shutting off certain controls and gyros for you as you push a single coversion slider or switch forward . He even shows it hover hands off for quite a while .
The heli and airplane control is all done with cyclic control of the rotor heads ...so no hard to understand setups ,,, just use the equipment he suggest and it should fly right out of the box with his program that is loaded in the controller .. The controller is all programable with a usb port for the guys that want to tinker with it also .

Rotormast is a propulsion engineer for Bell Textron and a long time R/C pilot / designer ,so everything on the fuse is CAD shrunk down to 1:18 th scale and is top notch engineering ... right down to the two hitec 5085 mg servos that run the conversion racks in each nacelle .
You can buy it in scale fuse form or go the profile fuse form ... nice for learning and keeping the cost down a little .

Release of the kit is suppose to be in the later part of Sept and the production units are to have fixed landing gear on them .... but later on he will be offering scale retract gear too !!!!
enjoy the pix and videos that show how it works and the last one how it flies hands off !!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFo8G19bD6A&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzWhP2NLS0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

V22chap,

I have pre ordered mine also with the scale fuselage. I cannot wait until it ships and I can get it flying. Thanks for the pics and the video's. I just got more excited.

Dave
Old 09-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

does any one have a diagram of the tilt mechanism or an exploded view of the whole bird?

Stuff for sale
Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think Tom even has an exploded view ... but he does have most all the parts listed and you can kind of put the bird together with looking at the pictures of parts ... The conversion rack and assemble would probably be the hardest unless you have tried doing one of these on your own
Here is the url to his parts list : http://www.rotormast.com/rm/index.ph...k=1&Itemid=183

Have fun
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was looking through that very list earlier today, but no images of the rack. I wonder if the tilt mech is a push/pull, toothed belt, toothed gear or direct drive (servo to the necel).

Stuff for sale
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think there are any belts involved in the conversion drive
http://www.rotormast.com/rm/index.ph...art&Itemid=183

I believe these parts named " conversion "--- something or other are the key to its tilting ...
and since the specs call for 2- conversion servos I suspect that there is one of these rack drives on each nacelle to do the tilting .
And this is pretty much like the real one does it .. which is no surprise since he is a Bell textron engineer
Old 09-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The full scale Osprey uses hydraulically driven ball screws for tilting the nacelles.
hoot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't get technical on me hoot I said pretty much like --- not exactly like , as in they both are nacelle mounted modes of moving the tilt by mechanical means ,, not belt like A&O was talking about ,, and the mechanics are mounted about the same way also .... But not exactly
Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

10 servos seems a bit much. granted for a real scale look you could use two swash plates, but it would be more practical to use two V-pitch motors for your aile control and the tilt mech for your elev control. That what I'm planning for my v-tol and it can be do it in 4 servos unless retracts and air plane style control surfaces are added. the only hard part is the tilt mech, but rotormast seems to have that worked out well.

Stuff for sale
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This one only uses six servos total. Two each for cyclic and two custom conversion servos.

hoot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

around 40 seconds in, they say 4 cyclic servos. it was a bit nebulous [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFo8G19bD6A&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
I did check there website and I guess they have 2 cyclic servos per necel. Still it is a very complicated mechanism, but so is the actually v-22.

Stuff for sale
Old 09-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Still it is a very complicated mechanism
Only when you don't have the manual
Tom has done a very good job keeping this as simple as could be ,, yet get the job done .
It is going to be a very good VTOL trainer as well as a great little scale bird .I still want a larger scale version , even a twin turbine some day , but look at this as an opportunity to help a fellow VTOLer get his business going and also to get some conversion training on my VTOL license

I am so eager to get started that I have all the other equipment that is needed---- here-- ready to go and the batteries charged already
I don't think I have been this hyped about a kit since my very first one ,,, the Dubro 505 kit back in 1972 or so

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in