How do I program a throttle kill switch x9303/x9503 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do I program a throttle kill switch x9303/x9503

Folks,

I imagine if I search high and low I will find a thread dealing with my issues. As such, please forgive me if these topics have already been covered.

With that said, Yesterday I purchased an X9503 and am having difficulty understanding how exactly the program mixes work. Being that the X9303 has been out for a while and the X9503's programming is exactly the same (that is what I have been told) I am hoping to get some help. In many respects the transmitter's settings are similar to my DX7, from which I have upgraded, but certainly not when it comes to the program mixes.

Although I read the instructions (at least 10 times), frankly I can neither make heads nor tails of what the instruction manual is trying to say when it comes to program mixes. Granted if I was trying to do one of the illustrated examples I could figure it out, but unfortunately it fails to cover what I am looking to program.

I wish to use the trainer (momentary) switch to kill my nitro engine. I wish to use this application for both my Trex 600 and Trex 700 nitros. Can somebody please direct me to or explain step-by-step how I go about programming the transmitter to get what I need done?

On a related note, in several of my smaller models, I use 6 channel Spektrum receivers. Being that these receivers do not have an AUX 2 channel, I cannot seem to get the gyro sub program to function. From what I have figured out, for the gyro functions to work, the gyro gain leads must be connected to the receiver's AUX2 channel. With my 7 channel receivers it works great because I have the gyro gain leads connected to the AUX2 channel of the receiver. But with my 6 channel receivers I obviously do not have that luxury. Instead I must connect them to the receiver's Gear channel. As such, I am stuck controlling the gyro gain via the transmitter's gear channel endpoints.

I would much prefer to control the gyro gain via the transmitter's gyro sub program. Is there a way to do this via a program mix, etc.? If so, I sure would like to know how to go about doing it.

Thanks very much for any and all assistance, etc.

Fred

Last edited by fredmillard; 01-29-2010 at 07:09 PM..
fredmillard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I'm not gonna go step by step as I don't have an X9303 anymore and the 12X is somewhat different.

For a throttle cut just use either a throttle curve or a throttle/throttle mix. Pay attention to the various mixes as not all switches are available and what is available depends to some extent on which mix, don't ask me why. You'll also need to disable and function natively controlled by the switch you wish to use before it will appear as a possibility in the mix screen.

You'll have to use the gear channel and set gyros by ATV percentages on the X9503 since as you found the gyro menu only works on the X9303/X9505 with AUX 2.
zeb29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So far I have been able to create a simple program mix which decreases the throttle (in my case I set it to 20% less throttle when the gear switch is toggled into its down position), However, the only switch that seems to work with this program is the gear switch. As such, in Normal flight when i toggle the gear switch to its down position, it kills the engine being that it decreased the throttle a bit more than when the gear switch is toggled up. I am beginning to be concerned that I can only do this with the gear switch rather than being able to assign it to let's say the trainer switch. Somebody please tell me I am wrong and it can be done via the trainer switch. If that is the case, what a disappointment. Fred
fredmillard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't help you with 9303 specifics as I said since I have a 12X now, but some things are similar.

I used the AUX 2 switch for my kill function and did it with a throttle/throttle mix assigned to that switch.

As I said, only certain switches are available in each mix so you have to go through all the mixes one by one looking for the switch you want to use. Also you have to disable the channel/switch in the Setup menu in order for it to appear as a possible switch in any of the mixes. I'm not sure how that might work if you want to use the trainer switch, whether it can be disabled or if it even appears as an option if that's the case.

If you're not getting many responses here and that looks to be the case, do you belong to any other forums? I know this is a heli forum but there are a number of JR programming guru's including some from Team-Horizon who hang out over on Flying Giants. Or try posting the question on the Team-Horizon website?

http://www.team-horizon.com/
zeb29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same problem did you ever find a fix?
Noahh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just pull the trim to full low (at full low stick in Normal). If your throttle servo is setup properly, that will kill the engine.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Winnebago IL Where the politicians are MORE corrupt-Thanks alot Blago/Burris/Daley etc...

throttle kill would be useful in crashes where you may be in throttle hold, but motor is still running and possibly sucking up dirt/debris as it lays gasping on it's side in a rumpled heap . Don't ask me how I know

I would be interested in programming a throttle kill so that it only worked in throttle hold and hitting another switch would then kill the motor. Yes it would be a 2 step process, but would be a safety against accidently hitting that switch in flight ie idle 1/2 and protecting against killing motor in that case.
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face

I know this is an old thread but I'll reply anyway. As mentioned before in this thread, the very best way is to use the throttle trim as a kill switch. I have always put my throttle trim at low position with the throttle stick at the low position and it closes the carb all the way which kills the engine because it's not getting any air. When the throttle stick is at low and the throttle trim is at mid point, the engine is at an idling position. If I need a higher or lower idle I simply adjust the throttle trim slightly. It will always kill the engine when I lower the throttle trim to the lowest point.
Just set the end points in the throttle ATV end point menu with the trim at it's lowest point and when you push the throttle trim to mid point it should be at a fairly good idle position.
Just make sure that the distance from the carb throttle shaft to the ball link is set the same distance on the throttle servo arm so it will be a one to one throw ratio.

That should do what you are wanting to do except you would use throttle trim as a kill switch instead of the trainer switch.

The trainer switch can ONLY be used as a trainer switch and a timer start and stop switch on the 9303 or the 9503. There's no option to re-assign that switch to a receiver channel because it's not part of the channel assignment system. It's a switch to just control internal computer related stuff.

Hope this helps :-)

Good luck! :-)
2 heavily modded mCPXs - Trex 450, FBL - Trex 500, FBL - Trex 600 nitro, FBL - Raptor 50 nitro, FBL - Raptor 90 nitro, FBL - Raptor E720 FBL Electric - "All Helis use BeastX Gyros" - 2 Inspire 1 V2 Aerial Photography Drones
Graviteesuks is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish it could be assigned to a channel cause I'd like to use the trainer switch for something else myself. :-(
2 heavily modded mCPXs - Trex 450, FBL - Trex 500, FBL - Trex 600 nitro, FBL - Raptor 50 nitro, FBL - Raptor 90 nitro, FBL - Raptor E720 FBL Electric - "All Helis use BeastX Gyros" - 2 Inspire 1 V2 Aerial Photography Drones
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you use the "Throttle Hold/Aux2" (which I think is actually aux3 don't know why it says aux2) to make a Throttle Kill? I have throttle hold set on the rudder d/r switch as thats what I'm use to with the DX7. Don't want to use the throttle trim as I would like to just leave it at a good starting position.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Can you use the "Throttle Hold/Aux2" (which I think is actually aux3 don't know why it says aux2) to make a Throttle Kill? I have throttle hold set on the rudder d/r switch as thats what I'm use to with the DX7. Don't want to use the throttle trim as I would like to just leave it at a good starting position.
I've tried a few different combinations in the mixes and can't seem to find anything that would take it from your idle trim point to a closed throttle and that's really the only way I know of to kill the engine unless you can hook up a channel activated valve to cut off the fuel supply but I wouldn't recommend doing that becuase of possible failures of the valve or an accidental flip of the switch or causing the engine to run really lean for a couple of seconds every time you cut it off, etc.

I have been fine tuning my idle to the point where it has a nice idle right at the notch in the throttle trim at mid point and I have an onboard glow system where the glow plug is getting 1.2 or so volts whenever I'm at idle. That way I know I'm going to get a stable idle at mid point of the idle trim. Once it's set up , I really don't have to keep tweaking it with the use of an onboard glow system. I also have a large seperate NiMH battery dedicated to the glow plug and I'm really happy with the results. It was a pain to get it set up the way I wanted it but it really works consistantly every time. Winter or summer, it always gives me the same idle. Since I had no other choices with the 9303 or the 9503 ( I have both) it's the best I could come up with.

I now have the new 11X and it has a throttle cut function but I haven't set it up yet for any of my nitro birds. I bought it for an aerial photo heli (electric 700 class) with AP, an FPV system, pan and tilt camera gimble with gyro stabilization and it's own AP for self level of just the camera systems so it took all 11 channels (I really could have used 13 channels but didn't want to spend the bucks to go that far so I used one of those servo centering devices (JR Matchmaker to be specific), it puts out a nice clean 50Hz at less than 3us rise and fall on the nearly perfect square waves so I used fixed resisters to match the pulse width of the gain of the tail gain channel on a HC3sX Gyro, so, it freed up my tail gain channel so I could use it for something else. the rest I used single channels with several mixes to allow one channel to do a couple of different tasks at the same time. it took a lot of head scratching but it worked. whew!

The JR 9503 and the 9303 (same radio really, one has more memory slots and a backlit screen, that's the only difference between the two but you probably already knew that). They really are nice radios but they do have their limitations.

Sorry I couldn't offer any solutions other than to use an onboard glow system and fine tune the idle to match mid point of the throttle trim and just use the same trim as an engne cut switch.

I'll keep thinking about it and if I come up with something, I'll let ya know. Maybe somone else here has a better solution for ya. I'm happy with my setup but that's just me. We all have our own ways we like things to work and there's nothing wrong with that eh!? :-)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to Program the Throttle hold / Kill switch JR 9303 9305

In order to use the kill switch on the 9303 you need to first program a mix. I used mix two and programmed throttle into AUX 2 which if you look there are two aux switches one is also the T. HOLD switch. Make sure while you are in this menu you highlight SW select and reverse the mix tab as this tx has two aux switches and this is where you tell the tx which aux switch you want to program. After that go into you throttle curve menu you will notice in the top left corner, after [thro curv], there is a 0 but when you move you hold switch it will change to 1, provided you just programed the mix. Under that it reads POS 0 hightlight that and change it to POS 1. Now you can set you power curve to 0 accross the board and presto! You have programmed you TX's kill switch.

Here it is barnie style:
1. Push the list button on the TX and roll to and hightlight mix 2.
2. Highlight INH with the roller and select it.
3. Notice thro->thro. Change this to read thro->aux2
4. Select the SW SELECT option, scroll over to MIX and select it with the roller so that the tab moves up. This is where the magic happens as this tx has two AUX 2 levers and by doing this you are telling the tx to use the T.HOLD lever for the mix you are programming.
5. Push the list button
6. Scroll to thro curv and select it
7. Scroll up to POS. 0 select it and change it to POS.
8. Change all points to 0
9. Hit enter then go to your monitor in the list menu and verify the you hold is working

Notice in the top left of the thro curv menu it reads [thro curv]0 when you flip you t.hold switch it will read [thro curv]1
kprice52001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throtte kill

Program mix # 3 is used for this function, Defaults at throttle to throttle.
Just pick percentage for pos0 or pos 1 -meaning toggle on or off, and pick a switch that's available at bottom of screen .
To make some of your switches available if not listed, you have to INH them in your System menu/Device select. INH the ones you know you wont use.
Fylers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.