cyclic pitch range? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default cyclic pitch range?

Hi guys,

Has anyone measured the cyclic pitch range on an out-of-the-box SR yet?

For anyone who doesn't know how to measure it, with the motor disconnected, power up, increase collective until the blades are 0 pitch, and with the flybar held level, straighten blades out and put the pitch gauge on either blade. Turn the head to position blades over nose and tail, move the cyclic stick fully left, align the top of the pitch gauge with the level flybar and take the reading. Then move the cyclic stick fully to the right and take another reading. That will give you the cyclic pitch range for the aileron.

For elevator, move the head 90 degrees so the flybar is over nose and tail, and repeat the process.

The maximum for the Blade 400 is +/-6 degrees, I don't expect the SR will be as much but am interested in what it does measure.

Thanks
Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default per 9sec240

Normal mode has only positive pitch but IU and TH have a bit of negative at low stick ***.

Normal mode nets +4 at low stick, +7 at mid stick and well over +12 at high stick ***.

Idle up and throttle hold have identical pitch curves of -4 at low stick, +6 at mid stick and well over +12 at high stick ***.

***Normal, idle up and throttle hold were all the same at high stick maxing out my pitch gauge and then some. I would approximate +14 degrees.

Cyclic is 5 degrees in all modes.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

5 degrees - more than I thought it would be. Is that on the 'tame' dual-rate settings?

Thanks for the reply

Dusty
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default cyclic pitch range?

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ic+pitch+range

New Blade SR Owner Field Report Thread!
Check out page 2

Chris
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Chris. I thought the collective pitch range sounded a little odd, the fact it wasn't set up properly explains it

Dusty
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Collective Pitch Measurements

Hi, this is my first post on HeliFreak
I've just received my SR, even though I'm an engineer, happy to try things, I'm sad to say my main motivation on buying the SR was the "dumbed down settings and ready to fly out of the box"
I've flown various heli's but this is my first real attempt at learning CP

Going against my personality, I've read the manual and I thought I'd document the out of the box settings for when I come to repair it!

I understand that this thread is for cyclic pitch, but I thought collective would fit in well, my results are similar to those above

Probably accurate to about 1/2 a degree as there's quite a lot of play in the head
Throttle trim was at centre
It's noticable that neither mode has zero pitch at mid stick position

Regards Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitch curves.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	143553  
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ian, I like the chart. IMO, some of the SRs are set up with the swash out of position. I checked another at the LHS yesterday and it had just about zero pitch at mid stick where mine was nowhere near zero like yours.

I would really suggest setting yours up for zero pitch at mid stick. This is the way it is SUPPOSED to be from the factory. It will fly much better and be more controllable.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks 9sec240
I've read your posts with interest and was hoping that you would comment

I will follow your advice, but not quite yet. I want to finish documenting all of the standard settings, in case I screw something up and wish to go back

I have a Futaba 10C with a Spektrum module, it's not going to be too easy to set that up as the menus, mix ratios and curves are different to the DX6i and DX7 that have already been set up and reported

My plan is to have 2 setups on the 10C, one to mimic the Standard TX, the other in a more conventional format. To do this effectively, I'm going to chart servo positions vs stick positions, I've an idea to use a spare servo with a long output arm and a gauge strapped to it, systematically pluging it into each channel and then working all stick combinations - including throttle and tail. if it works I'll post me results for others to use

I can't get my head around the setup of the standard TX yet. If I were to adjust the links to give Zero pitch at mid stick, then I'd get approx equal + & - pitch in Idle up, I know that this is the regular set up, but I read that Eflite always planned to have more positive than negative pitch

I am suprised that zero stick in normal doesn't give slight negative, so it does look like some adjustments will be required as you say

The other strange thing though, is that at zero pitch (measured), all of the servo arms are perfectly at 90', which is what you would expect for a mechanically correct set up. When I do come to use my computer tx, I suspect that when I zero all trims, the arms won't be at 90', the first thing that I'll have to do is take off the servo arms and move them around a few notches. This means that when I program zero pitch on my radio, the arms will be at 90' and the blades at 0'......lots of playing required

On your post I remember that you retrimmed and it gave you around +/- 10', do you think that the standard +13' is too much?...this is where my lack of practical experience shows

Cheers Ian
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ian, I can see analytical engineering side of you coming out. I too would like to believe that E-Flite set up the heli that particular way and for a reason but I can assure you that your heli is not set up how they intended. I am sure that there are some helis assembled very close to ideal and others like yours and mine that are way out. I just checked one out at the LHS yesterday that was nearly spot on for zero pitch at mid stick.

Please refer to page 21 and 22 of the following PDF manual for the CPP2 to see roughly what they were shooting for. http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...350-Manual.pdf

As you can see by the charts, in normal mode there IS less negative pitch than positive. In idle up and throttle hold pitch range is the same for positive and negative as it should be.

RC helicopters should ALWAYS be set up to have zero pitch at mid stick. If you ever plan to do anything beyond regular upright flight, you will need the helicopter set like this. Even in regular flight, you will need some negative pitch to combat altitude changes from wind.

Check it out and see what you think. Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will be watching this thread closely. I own a FutabaT9CHP with a spektrum module and would like to set it up to use with the sr. I have a DX6i as well , but really like the futaba more and would like to fly with it. My sr came out of the box with 0 pitch at center stick.
HoverGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Ivan
I'm certainly not arguing - just taking it slow (this won't be another "Should I buy upgrades" ......I'm not listening thread!), I will be taking your advice once I've finished my documenting

I totally agree that helis should have 0 pitch at Midstick, it's just that I'm sure that Eflite talked about more positive than negative pitch - but maybe that came from somewhere else, there's been soooo much info posted on the SR already. The more I think about it - the more I know your are right

Strange, I too looked at another manual, the B400 PNP version (after my last post and before going to bed!), this again was as you would expect it to be, 0' midstick pitch in all modes and interestingly +/- 10' Pitch range. The standard SR TX will never be able to mimic the B400 settings exactly as all of it's pitch curves are basically straight lines

The funny thing is, I'm not normally this analytcal at home - I have to be all the time at work. However as I bought this heli for it's settings, I thought I'd better record them before playing. I actually have a TRex 450SE that I'm working up to, I could have set this up softly, but it's an experience thing - easy to do once you know how....which I don't...yet

Hoverman, I've attached the 9C setup for the Twister Storm 3D, (same as Blade 400) this should be a good start - it's what I'll be using as a basis

Cheers Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blade 400 Futaba 9 CAP setup.pdf (11.4 KB, 375 views)

Last edited by toys2cars2toys; 03-06-2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Added 9 Cap settings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.