Flymentor vs Copilot 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor vs Copilot 2

Okay guys I need some help now. I have purchased both systems, and would like to get into doing some A/V for fun. The helis are the HK500GT and the CX450ME. Now I think the 500 would be the better platform for the a/v ship, so some opinions on theses systems would be helpfull. Most of the terrain I would be flying over to start with would mostly be flat , but would like to take it into the hills for some a/v as the rockies are next door. Any thoughts? Thanx in advance!
Digger66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

CP2 is really flight recovery and not designed to hold your heli in a perfect hands off hover.
vanguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy View Post
CP2 is really flight recovery and not designed to hold your heli in a perfect hands off hover.

but it has been done
but you are still correct
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The biggest problem is there is such a thing called perfect level terrain, you end up always has to adjust for level
modeleryang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just baught it, when i wake up i'm going out and fly see how copilot react, i never used such of a thing.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The flymentor just uses the 3 axis gyro to maintain stability, set it up level and that's the initial reference. The drawback might be that the gyro resolution and rate change measurements can lag in some fast manoevures. It also has some issues with rapid temperature changes, then many gyros do that too but it is a problem to be aware of.

The CP systems use the IR horizon as a reference, there isn't any significant lag with the IR measurement system. As you get higher the IR horizon does tend to level out, it's just a matter of going high enough!

Both will recover from inverted flight IF you give them enough air space. The bias in both is to try to roll back to horizontal as this is slightly easier and shouldn't loose too much altitude. For both recovery is going to be 'safer' if you are carrying some forward or reverse speed, in both if the tail gyro response and set up isn't really good then forward is better.
The Flymentor gyro does work but the mechanical/electonics set up is far more critical and it does lack a bit of resolution so recovery from invert with some tail first motion can look really messy. THE CP with a good tail gyro and set up is going to be much cleaner.
How much is 'too much' depends on the heli set up and the system set up. If you've damped out the aileron/elevator/pitch responses in the flymentor set up (set at less than 100% so reduced throws) then as much as you can get is maybe enough!

So for areas where you can see the horizon CPs work well, where the horizon isn't level with big hills close it can get confused. Same on sloping ground, it can let the heli slide down the slope, it's quite correctable and fun at 30+ degrees (it's hilly and forested around here). This can lead to some quirks if you are in valley or an enclosed space where it can cause more problems than its worth. You can fudge the calibration but it isn't going to be happy. Drop down below a ridge and it'll scoot off, sometimes quite fast which can be surprising.
The Flymentor really doesn't care as it is working against it's initialisation references to determine when it's level. It also seems to handle adverse conditions well and will keep the heli stable in quite gusty winds. Mines handled a 10mph base gusting to 15 and kept remarkably stable.

Of the two I'd prefer the Flymentor as it works almost anywhere and would probably be the system of choice for video work. The more sopisticated 'real' version with GPS would be the dogs but is of course much much more expensive.

Of course you always have the option of flying the heli yourself.
"Things you need to know about The Penguin of Death: He is strangely attractive because of his enigmatic smile He can kill you in any 1 of 412 different ways." Like my life it makes perfect sense .... sometimes
Nickj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
The flymentor just uses the 3 axis gyro to maintain stability, set it up level and that's the initial reference. The drawback might be that the gyro resolution and rate change measurements can lag in some fast manoevures. It also has some issues with rapid temperature changes, then many gyros do that too but it is a problem to be aware of.

The CP systems use the IR horizon as a reference, there isn't any significant lag with the IR measurement system. As you get higher the IR horizon does tend to level out, it's just a matter of going high enough!

Both will recover from inverted flight IF you give them enough air space. The bias in both is to try to roll back to horizontal as this is slightly easier and shouldn't loose too much altitude. For both recovery is going to be 'safer' if you are carrying some forward or reverse speed, in both if the tail gyro response and set up isn't really good then forward is better.
The Flymentor gyro does work but the mechanical/electonics set up is far more critical and it does lack a bit of resolution so recovery from invert with some tail first motion can look really messy. THE CP with a good tail gyro and set up is going to be much cleaner.
How much is 'too much' depends on the heli set up and the system set up. If you've damped out the aileron/elevator/pitch responses in the flymentor set up (set at less than 100% so reduced throws) then as much as you can get is maybe enough!

So for areas where you can see the horizon CPs work well, where the horizon isn't level with big hills close it can get confused. Same on sloping ground, it can let the heli slide down the slope, it's quite correctable and fun at 30+ degrees (it's hilly and forested around here). This can lead to some quirks if you are in valley or an enclosed space where it can cause more problems than its worth. You can fudge the calibration but it isn't going to be happy. Drop down below a ridge and it'll scoot off, sometimes quite fast which can be surprising.
The Flymentor really doesn't care as it is working against it's initialisation references to determine when it's level. It also seems to handle adverse conditions well and will keep the heli stable in quite gusty winds. Mines handled a 10mph base gusting to 15 and kept remarkably stable.

Of the two I'd prefer the Flymentor as it works almost anywhere and would probably be the system of choice for video work. The more sopisticated 'real' version with GPS would be the dogs but is of course much much more expensive.

Of course you always have the option of flying the heli yourself.
that makes me feel better thanks, im even happier with my FM now
4ch co-axle indoor micro - rainy days & night time
3ch co-axle indoor micro - visitors and possible converts
JonnyKango is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I have recieved both now, and have installed the CP II in the 450, but am having issues programming the tx. As for the flymentor, that will go into the 500 for an a/v platform. It sure looks alot easier to work with and set up than the CP II. The amount of wires are a tight fit on a 450. Also should have the field programmer for the FM early next week. Now just have to finish building the 500!
Digger66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ordered Flymentor for B400. Hope it helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ohh it will work wonders on your Blade especially with the DX7. Keep the present gyro though
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Ohh it will work wonders on your Blade especially with the DX7. Keep the present gyro though
I've been reading the online manual before the FM arrives. Not quite sure about using the present gyro.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbitten View Post
I've been reading the online manual before the FM arrives. Not quite sure about using the present gyro.
Why is that
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

FM + Quark = SWEET!!!

Jim
jauguston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here here Same combo
Old 07-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Okay. I reread the manual. I see that I can use my 520s with FM.

I just ordered a 2nd unit today. One for my heli-mechanic buddy. One for me.

We'll read up on the forums to figure out the install.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds good, there is a great deal of help available here if it be in existing posts or by directing questions at those who have been through the ropes. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.