Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

Thank you.

I don't have an Aurora 9, but a friend just got one. He has asked me for help with it, but I am not familiar with the radio.

I did watch all your videos, which, as always, have helped a great deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #122 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

This is why many new people also have a hard time grasping the JR radio's gyro menu. Until they understand that anything above 50 is positive or HH mode and anything below 50 is negative or rate mode, it doesn't make sense.

Now something to consider about a menu that works like this. "Steps"....
When using EPA or travel adjust you get 200 steps e.g. -100 to +100. When a menu like this converts that to 0 to 100 now you really only get 100 steps. Every click is 2 steps. Thus to some extent you loose gyro gain resolution. e.g. it may go from say 30 to 32 gain and you cant get 31 gain.

For this reason this is why I do not use the gyro menu on JR radios. Using EPA or travel adjust for me makes it easier to calculate or "guess" what the real gyro gain is as the number is closer and of course I can adjust one step at a time.

So when I get home today I am going to fire it up and have a good look at the gyro menu but from Terry's explanation it sounds like it works similar to JR radios.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I think there is confusion between Terry and you on what your trying to do and how. I think Terry is saying if you are using travel adjust (EPA) to adjust gain you can get a - value there and assign channel 6 to a switch. Also just to stick up for Terry, while he is a Airtronics guy, he usually knows what he is talking about. So I think it is just a misunderstanding of what your trying to do. Anyway......

If you want to use the gryo menu then you have to setup the menu and assign it. I am at work but when I get home I will have a look and plug in a 611 gyro to see what the values on the radio are vs what the gyro display shows and see if I can directly tell you how to setup the gyro menu. I personally have not played with that function yet.

So let me see what I can kick out tonight.

Bob
Thanks Bob.

Quote:
This is why many new people also have a hard time grasping the JR radio's gyro menu. Until they understand that anything above 50 is positive or HH mode and anything below 50 is negative or rate mode, it doesn't make sense.

Now something to consider about a menu that works like this. "Steps"....
When using EPA or travel adjust you get 200 steps e.g. -100 to +100. When a menu like this converts that to 0 to 100 now you really only get 100 steps. Every click is 2 steps. Thus to some extent you loose gyro gain resolution. e.g. it may go from say 30 to 32 gain and you cant get 31 gain.

For this reason this is why I do not use the gyro menu on JR radios. Using EPA or travel adjust for me makes it easier to calculate or "guess" what the real gyro gain is as the number is closer and of course I can adjust one step at a time.

So when I get home today I am going to fire it up and have a good look at the gyro menu but from Terry's explanation it sounds like it works similar to JR radios.

Bob
I think I understand negative gain better now. I thought it HAD to be a negative # and the A9 will not go into neg #'s in the gyro menu.
Fierce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I did with my gyro setup as to change it from Single -> Dual.
Do that adds an extra option that sits next to the gain value i.e. T.Lock or Nor.

If you select T.lock = H.H. mode and use gain values 0-100%
If you select Nor = Rate mode and use gain values 0-100%.

Assign a switch so you can toggle between H.H and rate mode.

If you leave it in single mode you will have to use values 50>= for HH and <50 for rate mode..
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #125 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Geffect, yes playing with it last night I saw that. I now want to hook up a gyro with a gain display (gy611) and see if the gain values are 1 to 1 and match the value on the display. I am hoping so as this will make the gyro menu much easier to use rather than having to do a little math in your head.

Bob
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Geffect, yes playing with it last night I saw that. I now want to hook up a gyro with a gain display (gy611) and see if the gain values are 1 to 1 and match the value on the display. I am hoping so as this will make the gyro menu much easier to use rather than having to do a little math in your head.

Bob
Hi Finless sadly it's not my gy611 shows 79% gain at 100 in the gyro menu screen on the radio.

It's not the biggest deal in the world to me but it would of been nice if it was a 1 to 1 ratio.

I have my gyro menu setup like Geffect does.

Edit: I remember reading the screaming in one of your videos is from a loss of signal.
eternaldragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #127 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldragon View Post
Edit: I remember reading the screaming in one of your videos is from a loss of signal.
I understand what it means but my problem is it is not consistent? 2 out of say 5 power off's it will do that.

Bob
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I understand what it means but my problem is it is not consistent? 2 out of say 5 power off's it will do that.

Bob
Same here it seems like it takes a long time sometimes for it to see the receiver is no longer sending/receiving a signal sometimes.

I can unplug my heli and it will take a wile for it to scream and other times it will do it right away.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #129 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

FYI Hitec just sent me the HPP-22 and the new 1.07 / 2.0 software to show. I will be doing a video on how to update the software for the radio, module, and RX and show the new features.

Here is what I know so far:
Custom battery alarm.
Screen calibration.
Mute function.
Timer easy reset function.
Ability to turn off idle up and throttle stick power on alarms.
Ability to change model easily instead of saying NO and going into model menu.
120 swash menu update although I am not sure what this is yet.

Mike told me I have a test release but it should be about the same when the update becomes public in about a month.

Bob
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
FYI Hitec just sent me the HPP-22 and the new 1.07 / 2.0 software to show. I will be doing a video on how to update the software for the radio, module, and RX and show the new features.

Here is what I know so far:
Custom battery alarm.
Screen calibration.
Mute function.
Timer easy reset function.
Ability to turn off idle up and throttle stick power on alarms.
Ability to change model easily instead of saying NO and going into model menu.
120 swash menu update although I am not sure what this is yet.

Mike told me I have a test release but it should be about the same when the update becomes public in about a month.

Bob
Bob thats all some can not wait for your next set of vids Thanks
tomrinkevich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Again great vids Bob. The main reason I would get this radio is to keep an eye on my main Flight pack on my Knight 600E. My Knight is 8s so I could power the processor in the RX with the 8S pack. And with the update coming up I could actually get a audible alarm if my main flight pack runs too low.
BUT!
I plan on going up to 12s with a Compass 6HV soon. And I would not be able to power the processor at 50 volts which is way too high.
But then I was thinking. Since my 12s pack will be two 6 cell packs I wonder if I could just power the SPC processor port with just one of the 6cell packs. I wonder if it would drain the packs unevenly. Or if this would even be possible. I really like this radio but I'm looking to the future here and alot of people are going higher voltage on the electric aircrafts.
Mike
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldragon View Post
Hi Finless sadly it's not my gy611 shows 79% gain at 100 in the gyro menu screen on the radio.

It's not the biggest deal in the world to me but it would of been nice if it was a 1 to 1 ratio.

I have my gyro menu setup like Geffect does.

I didn't set mine up with a 611, but I did use a a Solid G. My results were confirmed with the G-view. The G-view showed a gain of 38, the A9 gyro menu showed a 59...Mine is setup as single, as the Solid G doesn't have a "rate" mode as far as I know.

The tail on mine feels solid and just as good as when I had it flying on a DX7.
ericm7030 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #133 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Again great vids Bob. The main reason I would get this radio is to keep an eye on my main Flight pack on my Knight 600E. My Knight is 8s so I could power the processor in the RX with the 8S pack. And with the update coming up I could actually get a audible alarm if my main flight pack runs too low.
BUT!
I plan on going up to 12s with a Compass 6HV soon. And I would not be able to power the processor at 50 volts which is way too high.
But then I was thinking. Since my 12s pack will be two 6 cell packs I wonder if I could just power the SPC processor port with just one of the 6cell packs. I wonder if it would drain the packs unevenly. Or if this would even be possible. I really like this radio but I'm looking to the future here and alot of people are going higher voltage on the electric aircrafts.
Mike
Since you are only powering the RX processor from the SPC port not the servos, I doubt very seriously if it would drain one pack more than another by anything noticeable! In fact I run my 450 night rig lights off 2 cells of my 3S 450 pack and it doesn't do anything to the pack imbalance wise and the light driver I am sure draws way more power than the RX processor. So again.. I doubt the RX would use enough power from one pack to do anything!

Bob
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
BUT!
Mike
Mike Mayberry told me the way to do it with a 12s setup is to use the power from one of the 6s packs. Just remember the total voltage will only show half on the screen.
dfrazier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm7030 View Post
I didn't set mine up with a 611, but I did use a a Solid G. My results were confirmed with the G-view. The G-view showed a gain of 38, the A9 gyro menu showed a 59...Mine is setup as single, as the Solid G doesn't have a "rate" mode as far as I know.

The tail on mine feels solid and just as good as when I had it flying on a DX7.
I have mine at 36% gain at 46 in the gyro menu and the tail holds great.

I have to say I couldn't really be happier with the radio. It does just about everything I could want a radio to do and more.

Well one thing I would like is a 6-7ch receiver with the plugs all on one side like the 9ch just a little wider but shorter then the current 6-7ch rx . I find it a little awkward plugging in all the stuff on my 450s
Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier View Post
Mike Mayberry told me the way to do it with a 12s setup is to use the power from one of the 6s packs. Just remember the total voltage will only show half on the screen.
Thanks Dfrazier and Bob. That sealed the deal for me on this radio. So instead of hitting throttle hold when the pack almost reaches 36 volts, I would hit throttle hold when the pack hits almost 18 volts because I would be just tied into one 6 cell pack. BRILLANT!
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #137 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

2 new videos posted! How to upgrade the software and whats NEW in the upcoming software update!

Bob
Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much!

One link gives error. You have an extra "v" at the end of the "What's new in.." link.
Medi8or is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob the new vid under whats new does not work?
tomrinkevich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's the working link:

Video Link ->Whats new in the 1.07 / 2.0 Software update! (63 Megs)
Medi8or is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in