When Disaster Strikes,,,aka Crash Report - Page 21 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #401 (permalink)
Registered Users

was out early this morn, still praticing figure 8's, lost it early on, think I was still half asleep, lol.. fell from about 75ft, froze up like a noob...

stripped elevator gear
stripped main gear
bent feather and main shafts
broken tail fin
bent boom
busted 1 canopy mount
canopy cracked in several spots
broke 1 skid

as for my cheapo $8.00 HK CF blades, not even a scratch !!!
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #402 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need to pay attention

Ok, so I took my heli out for a nice test spin after the last crash. I kind of went through things a little too fast and forgot to check my servo throws and balance (read: disaster in the making). So I take her up to about 80% throttle thinking it's going to go up a bit and I'll hover it a bit, but it goes forward (remember balance is off). No big deal, I'll just pull back on the collective and correct it. Wait a second because my servos should have been reversed.... So even faster forward it goes. Still I realize this quite quickly and give it back collective to slow it up and that is when I noted the tree branch I had just flown under mere seconds ago and was homing in on. There was no saving this one though!

All said and done: Main Blades, Main drive shaft, two servos, broken landing gear and a newly trimmed tree branch. I guess it could have been worse?
tcroak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #403 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcroak View Post
I kind of went through things a little too fast and forgot to check my servo throws and balance (read: disaster in the making).

a newly trimmed tree branch. I guess it could have been worse?
Hmm I was thinking tonight as I drove into Memphis what I need to do after my crash Sat.....Already put in the main shaft ( oh by the way for U newbies little thing I found out......couldn't get my main gear screw to line for S*!t well come to find out there's a sleeve in the main shaft that will spin on you a little if your having problems getting that screw in pull out your gear set...careful not to loose the washer in the middle & check that sleeve may have to spin it a bit) put in a straightened flybar pulled the blades ......still gotta replace the fethering shaft tail boom ( gonna put in my new Futaba servo while I'm there) tail shaft, boom strut, & boom wing (homemade.....don't have a spare on it) well I was thinkin last crash I didn't go through the head but she flew great. I was thinking I would go ahead & go through the head this time but after reading this I know I'm going through it.....Oh Luv the freshly trimmed tree limb tried to do the same with a driveway marker that big ol fiberglass shaft won though.
Maddog0963 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #404 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcroak View Post
a newly trimmed tree branch. I guess it could have been worse?
Funny, I had a run in of sorts with a branch today too. I was landing this afternoon and at the last minute noticed a big tree branch had blown down in the middle of the smooth concrete where I meant to land so I deftly swung it to the left and right into a chain link fence. The sound of my brand new, carefully balanced carbon fiber blades hitting heavy steel wire was... loud, for one thing. And brief. BRAAAT!

The bill: blades, main shaft, one blade grip. Fortunately I had all the parts so I can fly again this weekend (unless there's something I missed--I guess I better go double-check the servos...) Feeling rather dumb.
crashmore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #405 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shite Crashmore! Still it sounds like you got off fairly well with only those damaged parts, but do check those servo's!

Hopefully both my keychain camera's arrive soon. That way you guys can seem my crashes on video
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #406 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Pilot View Post
Shite Crashmore! Still it sounds like you got off fairly well with only those damaged parts, but do check those servo's!
Yeah, it was embarrasing. My last "crash" was gently tipping the blades into some wet grass. This was a lot worse. Fortunately I was flying it alone at a spot without many people on my drive home from work so no one saw or heard it. As long as I get the identical blades on by this weekend, chances are my flying partner will never know about this. He's a T-Rex snob who rarely condescends to reading the B400 forum, so I'm probably safe.

Looks like the servos survived.
crashmore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #407 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice one! If he does notice, just say you found a defect and are so fussy you didn't want to run them!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #408 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6ft up, drifted sideways towards my daughter, I promptly forced it to the ground. tallish grass. Blades survived buit Grips, feathering shaft, and some other parts are gone.
banditpowdercoat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #409 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
6ft up, drifted sideways towards my daughter, I promptly forced it to the ground. tallish grass. Blades survived buit Grips, feathering shaft, and some other parts are gone.
Good thing that it's only your heli that was damaged and your daughter is ok. A heli can be a dangerous machine with the speeds that the rotors are turning. The best thing is to make sure that any spectators are standing behind you.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #410 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailid View Post
Good thing that it's only your heli that was damaged and your daughter is ok. A heli can be a dangerous machine with the speeds that the rotors are turning. The best thing is to make sure that any spectators are standing behind you.
Ya she was, well to the right and like 1ft behind. But you know kids attn spans.Yes for sure the heli goes before any person!!!. But I shouldnt have been that high I guess. 3rd battery. Man, this heli WAY harder than even 1/8th scale gas Buggy. I thought that took discipline and concentration........
banditpowdercoat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 AM   #411 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Put a new tail servo in; got everything set-up again; and took out the heli. First battery and I was getting the hang of hovering again. Second battery and a gust of wind sends my newly rebuilt heli into the asphalt!

So my new servo is still good...

Feathering Shaft
Main Shaft
Main Blades
All The Cyclic Servos!

Fun!

I'll go back to my 400d, Quark, and MSR until next paycheck.

Ciao
Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #412 (permalink)
Registered Users

There i was...bringing the b400 into land after a nice flight this morning at about 0730 before work, was about half a foot off my landing pad not realizing i hadn't switched from stunt to normal mode, dropped her in then full stick down.....BANG!..Boom Strike!! :o
Haven't really inspected her yet, do that tonight, but seeing how big the spaz attack was when it hit the ground i'm going to strip the thing right down.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #413 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I have a hat cam now.

Here is my latest crash, as I was trying to land nose in, first attempt I aborted. Second attempt I got greedy and let it get away too much before aborting. When I tried to save it I used too much tail and it ended up turning 180 degrees further around than I wanted.

I laughed at the end because I knew that it was a stupid crash, I could have saved it if I wasn't flying in such a small area.

The video sound has a glitch too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cN645Mg28[/ame]
Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #414 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best Crash Ever!

I had my best flight ever yesterday, even if it did end in a crash!
I flew it all over the place and towards the end of the pack, it was coming at me @ 20 feet up and 50 feet away in slow FF and it started banking towards the ground. So far, I continue to try to fly it out of trouble like an airplane...WRONG! The elevator will not make the heli go up (unless you are in FFF), my 50 year experience flying RC planes takes over what I know about helis and I crash! Collective takes the ship back up after leveling out! The hardest thing to get through my thick head is that I have to ADD POWER (and collective) when heading for the ground.
This is the first crash I've had that I did not bend the tail boom.
Thank goodness it wasn't a T-Rex. This crash only cost me @ $42.00.
AR 7000, DS610's cyclic, Quark gyro & DS620 on tail
Capt.Chip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #415 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grrr! Mine just exploded on spool up! I had a beautiful flight this morning, was working on my funnels and things. Go out at lunch here, and boom.

I've had a slight vibration, haven't been able to figure it out. But apparently it finnaly caught up and my whole tail case exploded.

130x- apparently a good one. Mine just works crash after crash
RaymondJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #416 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Almost got my first whole battery. about 3 min combined airtime.. then twisted sideways. Seesaw, Blades, Feathering shaft,main shaft, 1 grip, Boom, stabilizer fin and tailshaft.....

Better make some training gear. Heli's sure like to drift don';t they
Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #417 (permalink)
Registered Users

THUMP

That's the sound of my hardest crash to date! I was doing some loops when I decided to try and pause at the top upside down. Instantly I decided it wasn't a good idea and initiated the rest of loop.

My mistake wasoming back upright, I think I some down collective instead of up

Anyway it hit the ground upright but very hard.

Damage

Canopy - fixable though
MSH proto's skids came off, not broken so easily fixed.
Feathering shaft
Main blades
Tail boom
Tail drive pully had a small crack - may not have been from the crash
Main shaft
One flybar paddle has a small cut in it from a main blade - may not need replacing

Other than that the frame is fine and the ino labs servo's held up.

I am running low on spares now though, and I really liked those main blades

Oh well, at least I've pushed the limit further on my crashes!

Banditpowerdercoat - yeah training gear will save you from a lot of crashes early on.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #418 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well it finally happened. My first crash. I've been flying for almost a year, rather conservatively (since I made it a year), and managed to progress from hover to FF to FFF and flips. I think I exceeded my skills when I tried to do a fast forward loop. Despite my altitude the 400 got away from me and I could not correct. After some bizarre uncontrolled aerobatics my 400 plowed straight down into our fields paved runway (couldn't hit the grass?, of course not). The usual checklist of items plus a new frame and tail. This will be the most I ever tore this bird apart. Still, my estimate to repair is only about $80.00. Not bad. Luckily it appears my electronics survived. Only thing I don't understand is when I hit the ground the motor stopped and not because I hit TH. I was in IU. Thought the ESC fried but works on the bench. Hope to be back up again in a week.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #419 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crashed again!

And only one post between this and my last crash

Dumb thumbed on the collective pitch and just ran it into the ground with out any collective applied, not bad, but I ruined my good $30 rotor tech blades

Although I should be happy, I spen two packs sport flying and then practicing continual piro's in both directions very slowly (one rotation every 5 seconds or so) and maintain my hover pretty damn well now if I do say so myself!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #420 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL! I think you must be going for a record, Mix!!

Sorry to hear about the crash(es).
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.