My new FBL head explodes - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My new FBL head explodes

I fitted a new FBL .50 sized head supplied by Hobbyking and packaged as an RJX unit to my 600esp along with a Skookum 720.

After several nights of setup I spooled it up this evening and just short of lift off the head exploded.

One blade glanced off my leg with no damage to me and the other flew across the park

The feathering shaft is still in one grip and the other grip is intact with the shaft screw still in it

Both blades are damaged but the main shaft etc seem to be OK

On taking it apart it appears that one feathering shaft screw has pulled out of its thread with the obvious consequences

As you can imagine I am not impressed and have emailed HK with a demand for replacement parts including new blades
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1096.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	221751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1097.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	221752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1098.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	221753  
Peteren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy sh...
I'm sorry to hear about this, especially since I recommended the head.
Mine has been great but I'll be tearing it down just in case.

Can you inspect the threads inside the feathering shaft? they don't look like they're properly cut by the state of the thread on the bolt, and that's a hefty bolt.

I wouldn't waste my time with HK, it's like banging your head against a wall. Maybe shoot them an email but trying to contact RJX may be the best avenue.
Let me know if you need any pics of mine, I have a couple of feathering shafts if you need a reference.

Helidirect sell the parts in case you need to rebuild.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not your fault at all Cascade, I just got a bad one

The screw that came out is definately loose in the shaft, but you would expect that now that it has pulled out.

The tops of the threads are shaved off along the full length of the screw, it looked good and tightened up well when it went in so I can only assume that the thread in the feathering shaft is over sized.

I'm on Helidirect now getting a complete Align FBL head as I now have zero confidence in the RJX product

PS, I have just looked at the shaft threads under good light and magnifying glass and the threads are flat.

It looks like they have been drilled out after being cut
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jezus, that is some scary stuff.

Don't expect anything from HK. They have the worst customer service you will find. And if they did replace the gear would you really trust it again? and with cheap HK blades.

I would also just contact RJX and see what they say, HK are known to counterfeit/buy and sell dodgy gear.

That bolt doesn't look like a high grade bolt to me, have you checked the one that is still in the feathering shaft?

When you get the Align head i think they come assembled so make sure you check clean and loctite the screws.

Hope you get this thing flying soon so we can go out the field and have some fun flying the 600's
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't believe for one second that it was genuine RJX. I got one of their "RJX" heads for a 450...it was junk. I was prepared for it because it was so cheap. When I tried to install it, I saw the lack of quality and ended-up throwing it away. If you're going to order high quality/name brand parts, I would stay away from HK.
T3chDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
Jezus, that is some scary stuff.

Don't expect anything from HK. They have the worst customer service you will find. And if they did replace the gear would you really trust it again? and with cheap HK blades.

I would also just contact RJX and see what they say, HK are known to counterfeit/buy and sell dodgy gear.

That bolt doesn't look like a high grade bolt to me, have you checked the one that is still in the feathering shaft?

When you get the Align head i think they come assembled so make sure you check clean and loctite the screws.

Hope you get this thing flying soon so we can go out the field and have some fun flying the 600's
Have emailed RJX

The screw is as hard as nails, the hole in the feathering shaft is oversized

Might be flying planks for a while as the confidence in the 600 is totally shattered
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jump back on that horse ASAP, even if it's with the flybar.
I was in your position a few weeks ago and it really takes it out of you and feel like you wanna get even (I was that pissed with Align).
It took me a long time to get back flying my 600 when the 3G unit failed on me.

T3chDad, it's a real RJX.

Peteren, I compared my old feathering shaft to the new shafts from HD, s a quick test I took the old shaft and tried to measure the bolt/shaft shear strength, I could only measure up to 190lbs but it held without a problem so unfortunately it looks like you got a bad one.
If you get another shaft from HD it comes with the 2 bolts and washers.

As for the HK/RJX thing, my view is that you bought it from HK, not RJX but as everyone knows, HK support and customer service are a joke but it's worth a try - you may get something out of it but it won't be for a long time so RJX may give you more in the way of compensation or satisfaction, it's their QC that failed.

Let me know if you need anything etc, if you need any more info or help shoot me a PM and we'll talk.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
T3chDad, it's a real RJX.
Right...then I guess it's my loss.
T3chDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I take it that the head arrived fully assembled? I think that this incident just demonstrates that you always have to start by taking these ready assemblies apart. My Align FBL head arrived BNIB with two notchy bearings. Not nearly as dramatic but it just goes to show...

I would order a replacement spindle. The rest still looks good to go.
ollie2893 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ollie, they arrive in individual parts except the balls on the head grip arms which aren't locked down.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry? How can that be? You are saying that Peteren did not notice as he tried to tighten the blade bolts that one screw had no grip at all?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could it be a case of not checking for loctite prior to installation.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

does the bolt have copper grease on the threads?
abit late is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can I answer the last couple of posts

Yes the head came nicely packed with all the components in individual bags and the main head and grips in protective foam

I dry assembled the head to my heli and it all fitted nicely so it came off and all components were loctited together.

The feathering shaft scews tightened up nicely during assembly but this one is only holding by the tips of the thread. I have not unscrewed the other end as I'm hoping that RJX will want it back for inspection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1101.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	221791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1102.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	221792  
Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put this head made by compass on my 600e and absolutely love it. It is very smooth and they simply dont get any cleaner than this. I use the Beastx controller.

http://www.nankinhobby.com/Helicopte...prod_2619.html
Arlian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

This one is made for the Trex 600 as an upgrade (similar to the one Arlian referenced):

http://www.nankinhobby.com/Helicopte...prod_6020.html

Same as Compass head, but drive tubes are the correct length for the Trex600.

I have three of these (Compass) heads in service now: the 500 size on the Atom; the 600 size on the 6HV and the Caliber 700 (550 sized machine).

Very well made heads, easy to adjust, no archaic follower/swash driver, and excellent flying characteristics!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear about your crash

I have been using RJX 90 FBL heads on 3 of my 800 ships from the beginning, swinging 810 blades and have not had an issue with any of them.

From the pics of your feathering shaft it is quite apparent that the threading is under cut causing your failure.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteren View Post
The feathering shaft screws tightened up nicely [but one was] only holding by the tips of the thread.
Do you recall one of those screws taking considerably more turns to tighten than the other? As I said, I'd source another spindle and give it another go.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie2893 View Post
Do you recall one of those screws taking considerably more turns to tighten than the other? As I said, I'd source another spindle and give it another go.
No. it went in OK and tightened up OK, maybe if I had really leaned on it it may have pulled the thread during assembly which would have been good.

Question is how much torque do you apply to this part when you put it together?

I may be bloody minded about this but this product is not going back on my heli

If RJX donít want it so they can improve their quality assurance then I have the remains of an RJX FBL head to give away
Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I jam a allen key in one end which is held by the grip then a lean on it as hard as i can with a normal screwdriver type driver. This will get it tight enough that with loctite it shouldn't come undone.

Pete, did you measure up the shaft, will the original align one fit in the new head?
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.