Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Servo Installation Warnings

I just added a video to the list of my 450 Pro build videos. I was in the process of converting my 450 Pro to FBL and installing the Hitec servos. I hit on a pretty serious issue that can cause early servo failure. This is not just important to the Hitec servos but really any servo that might have this installation issue.

Anyway the video is in the list at the top of the first post but here is the link.

UPDATE! 2/1/2011 - Servo Installation warning! You can bind up the servos if you are not careful when mounting them. Especially with the Hitec 65MG or 5065MG.

Video Link ->Servo installation issues and warning (44 Megs)

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Noted, 'll check the build no my Pro with 65-HB. thanks finless,I do appreciate the heads up!
Tucky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Good video Bob. I think this is also the case with the DS410M's and it accounts for MANY of the problems regarding randomly dying servos. If you stress the case you can damage internal components that may work now ... but fail later!

I had over 250 flights on my first Pro and nearly 100 now on my second Pro with no DS410M troubles
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

if i have undurstood well, i must not use washer on the screws
Ok, i did this from the begin with my hs65

but when i install the servo case with the two metal part, the holes aren't line up with the carbon frame, at this point, what can i do ?
leave a little slop on the servos and hold the metal part on the frame ?

sorry but is easyer for me read the advices then hear them, for a language question, lol
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember correctly I made all the six servo mounting holes a tiny bit bigger.
This gave me just enough play to put it all together with no stress on anything.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I went for the "D" shaped washer option. A bit fiddly, but if you can justify putting washers on the Align servos then the same argument holds true for the HS65s .... no excuses just because it is a little more work!! Unless, of course, you are striving for a weight reduction
744drv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I'l have to take a closer look at my HS65's.
Thanks again Bob
SAB Goblin 700Comp.
CoolKD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,
Why did you decide to switch servos for the FBL upgrade? Do the Align servos not work as well?
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Cant say as I did not try them on FBL. Probably work fine as I trust what ChrisH has to say and he said he used them as I recall. Mine had a TON of flights on them and like any metal gear servo they developed SLOP over time. I wanted to use new servos when I went FBL so I eliminated that as any cause for problems. I am sure the Align servos will work fine though.

Bob
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

The Align servos definitely worked for FBL on my first 450 Pro!
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob I have a question for you. Did you choose the 5065 servo for personal reasons or was it a sponsorship thing? I have been waiting until I strip a gear or burn up a servo to upgrade to the 5065's and these dang hs-65hb's won't die! I am going to have to just get the 5065's and retire my servo's like they are, I have got a ton of flights out of them and I have nothing bad to say about them at all.
card_shark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I called Hitec and asked if they would send me a set so I can see why so many people were having them burn out. As you can see I found one possible cause. Another complaint with these servos has been burn out in a crash. I want to use the servo programmer to set the overload protection however the servo programmers are all back ordered. So while Hitec did send me the servos it really was not a sponsorship thing (I don't / wont do sponsorship) just a desire to see what the deal is with these servos.

So far I have 5 flights on my FBL 450 Pro now and I like them. I hope I don't crash before the programmers come back in stock

Bob
Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, very nice.
card_shark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob, are you doing a flight review of the FBL 450 PRO?

I'd love to see how she flys!
lowey79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would think on the servos there is really no technical reason for them having a washer. You mainly want washers on rotating components to stop the transfer of motion from loosening the torque. Thanks for the heads up though about the deformation of the casings, and I am going to check my bird. I had to kind of force the frame (not a lot) to accept one of the screws on that metal cage, and this may very well be why.
Roadburner440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had posted this in the forum part. Use a soldering iron and hold it on the servo mounting bolts. This is done in order to get the holes to line up on the frame when trying to install the cyclic servo block. Tighten one side of the cyclic servo block into the frame. Then while pulling up on the other side hold you soldering iron to the bolt's holding the servo's in. Eventually the hole's on the block will match the frame hole's.
mescalinedream is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just built a stock 450 pro with the align 4's and even after rebuilding my frame on a piece of glass as level as can be and tightening the frame down all 90* to the glass, I still came up with a tight elevator servo. Nothing strpped or bent but the servo was tight, as opposed to the pit -aile which were loose. Again thats with stock kit Align servos, so I will keep an eye on the elevator in case it is tweaked. I thought the frame came from the factory slightly skewed, since the bottome plate did not sit perfectly flush. But, as mentioned even after a rebuild the elev servo was tight. I noticed in Bob F's vids his servos went in without a hitch, but maybe there is a tolerance issue between kits.

Thanks for the Heads up, building the tail section now........
heliflyer711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i just had my 450 Pro crash real hard due to cyclic servo failure in flight no chance

but those had 300+ flights so i guess they were about to die no matter what

(5065Mgs was what i've used)

servo stuck in flight sucks its almost a complete loss nothing left
will get the same hitecs now cause all 3 are dead and will take care on how i mount them
4DPILOT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never noticed an issue installing my 65MG's in my clone 450 Pro. No servo failures either. I didn't use washers and really see no need for them since the hole is basically the same size as the screw. I used socket head cap screws.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DPILOT View Post
i just had my 450 Pro crash real hard due to cyclic servo failure in flight no chance

but those had 300+ flights so i guess they were about to die no matter what

Everything has a life limit. 300 flights seems darn near incredible! I've seen people advertise used servos with "only" 75 flights on them. Depending on the type of flying that could easily be worn out. The question is how to tell when theve reached their lif limit and the decide what your philosophy is: A. Fly them into the ground (literally) or B. Replace them at a point where they are still fully functional but approaching their life limit. I know that on my 550 and any ship I get that's larger it's going to be "B". Those machines are just to deadly to fly and know that it could have a catastrophic failure unannounced.
some multirotor stuff w/ AutoQuad6, Naza, APM, PX4, and full size Exec162F and a T210 just for fun!
recurry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in