Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_stoll View Post
yeah, my big concerns are, in increasing order of worry:

1. Mangling the original pinion getting it off (not a big deal, as I have no use for it, but a friend might)

2. Mangling the new pinion putting it on (I bought 2, to allow for goofing on the first one if it happens)

3. Damaging the motor shaft (such as bending it)

4. Damaging the motor (such as pushing too hard on the pinion/shaft and damaging something on the rear end of the motor - if the shaft protrudes all the way through the motor, this is unlikely to be damaged by the desktop vice approach, but if it has a sealed/covered rear end, this concerns me, as does pushing hard even against something like a tabletop or counter.

I'm not historically an electrics guy (not entirely true - I have 450's, but the motors all came w/ the appropriate pinion on them, and/or they had set screws on the pinion), thus my nervousness on this operation. :-)
We have many customers sharing the same concern as you. It does look like we are going to install the pinion for customers when the motors arrive. We use a special jig to center and press on the pinion.

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com

Last edited by WowHobbies; 07-20-2011 at 12:54 AM..
WowHobbies is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like it could work but may need a negative going signal which you could pickup at the collector of the NPN transistor on the main board that drives the output FET gate.

No guarantees, Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna001 View Post
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna001 View Post
Have a look at this thread...https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=299653

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

TNT, may I make a suggestion concerning your thread here:

Seems to me many people are following this thread and using it to convert their own mCPx’s to BL which is great and we all appreciate your info. The problem is it also seems that many people are not reading the entire thread and missing some important troubleshooting suggestions for when the conversion does not work properly.

My suggestion would be to edit the first post where you show how to wire the converter and ESC by showing TWO ways that work.

1. Wiring the converter red/blue to the esc red/black and/or
2. Wiring the converter red/blue to the pos + neg board terminals.

Also, stating the symptoms of why the alternative is an option such as intermittent throttle, beep only, full throttle only, no tx input to throttle response, etc may help people self-diagnose the problem.
Trex 600 ESP FBL - Beastx
adroc3905 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #225 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroc3905 View Post

Seems to me many people are following this thread and using it to convert their own mCPx’s to BL which is great and we all appreciate your info. The problem is it also seems that many people are not reading the entire thread and missing some important troubleshooting suggestions for when the conversion does not work properly.

My suggestion would be to edit the first post where you show how to wire the converter and ESC by showing TWO ways that work.

Also, stating the symptoms of why the alternative is an option such as intermittent throttle, beep only, full throttle only, no tx input to throttle response, etc may help people self-diagnose the problem.
Ok will do. That is a Good idea
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all of the advice on the pinion removal/installation. I got the motor and esc today (still waiting on The Steve, so I guess that means I'll get to sleep tonight :-). Below is my Ghetto Pinion Puller - should be good for a chuckle. Its 2 chain link plates from a bike chain, two threaded rods and a 10-32 screw w/ the end turned down to about 1.4mm. I certainly wouldn't want to have to work on anything much heftier than the teeny helimax motor and pinion, but it worked great for that!

I ended up using the drill press method for putting the 9T pinion on. Chucked a small drill bit upside down in the drill press (so the flat end was down), then put the pinion on the table, lined it all up, and pushed w/ the drill bit against the rear end of the motor shaft, and it slid right on smooth as butter. I really like that method, as you can get leverage for the pressing, but you can feel how its all going, and you can pretty easily see if everything is lined up straight.

Thanks again for the advice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JimsGhettoPinionPuller1.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	241260  
jim_stoll is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #227 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice on the pinion removal/installation. I got the motor and esc today (still waiting on The Steve, so I guess that means I'll get to sleep tonight :-). Below is my Ghetto Pinion Puller - should be good for a chuckle. Its 2 chain link plates from a bike chain, two threaded rods and a 10-32 screw w/ the end turned down to about 1.4mm. I certainly wouldn't want to have to work on anything much heftier than the teeny helimax motor and pinion, but it worked great for that!

I ended up using the drill press method for putting the 9T pinion on. Chucked a small drill bit upside down in the drill press (so the flat end was down), then put the pinion on the table, lined it all up, and pushed w/ the drill bit against the rear end of the motor shaft, and it slid right on smooth as butter. I really like that method, as you can get leverage for the pressing, but you can feel how its all going, and you can pretty easily see if everything is lined up straight.

Thanks again for the advice!!
Ghetto always work brother
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That pinion puller is brilliant!
Man, there is always someone with a super creative idea to help out others.

Never thought of a drill press.....although I also do not own one...but it sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #229 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:

It wont let me edit it
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm...maybe we can ask the almighty HF forum administrators to help with that. I thought the thread starter could edit but I might be confused with another forum.

Maybe we should just make a BL conversion sticky with tips and tricks.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #231 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Yea it dont have the magic edit buttom. I guess it has to be edit with in so many hrs or days
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Maybe we should just make a BL conversion sticky with tips and tricks.
+1 on that - I think that's how tnt started this thread out, and its accumulated a lot of great info, but unless one has been following it pretty religiously, much of the good stuff is buried and not likely to be found.

tnt - Thanks again for starting this thread - it A) led me to do it (so it's clearly informative!) and B) is making it very straightforward to accomplish.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #233 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
+1 on that - I think that's how tnt started this thread out, and its accumulated a lot of great info, but unless one has been following it pretty religiously, much of the good stuff is buried and not likely to be found.

tnt - Thanks again for starting this thread - it A) led me to do it (so it's clearly informative!) and B) is making it very straightforward to accomplish.
You are welcome. I just wanted to help fellow helifreaks out. Its in my blood to help people out
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #234 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

how do u post a sticky
Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Have a look at this thread...https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=299653

Amp
Excellent thanks.
TBS Discovery FPV
dna001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will fly and it seams like alot less flight time then with stock setup that the helicopter will just loose motor power in the air unlike the original setup which would get slower before dying. Is this the battery dying or possibly a problem with my 3in1? I ask that because I tred the experiment on my first mcpx which had a couple of funny behaviors which I assume were due to the 3in1 board. One of the behaviors I am speking of is that the tail motor starts spinning before the main motor.
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #237 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
I will fly and it seams like alot less flight time then with stock setup that the helicopter will just loose motor power in the air unlike the original setup which would get slower before dying. Is this the battery dying or possibly a problem with my 3in1? I ask that because I tred the experiment on my first mcpx which had a couple of funny behaviors which I assume were due to the 3in1 board. One of the behaviors I am speking of is that the tail motor starts spinning before the main motor.
Yeap it is the battery dying and also the tail comes on first so the heli don't spend out of control. Do like have done use the blade sr120 battery 5 to 6mins flight time on the BL setup. And that is doing 3d alone with sports flying. Have a blessed week

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited by tntburnett; 07-20-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kind of flight times are folks getting on the helimax BL setup with the 300mah nanotech batts?

One thing I like about the stock setup is at when I'm doing inverted hovering, slow piro, orientation, etc practice, I get surprisingly long flight times with the nanotech batts.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get a good solid 4 minutes of idle up flight. No 3d but buzzing back and forth fast as he'll. The packs still seem like they have good power but I stop at 4 min to be easy on my packs. Not sure as to how much is exactly being used as I have no way to test.
- DX8G2 and DX7S
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my C05 BL w/8T pinion and 120SR tail mod I get 5 minutes and put back 230-240 mah and the voltage is ~ 3.8V. The first 4 minutes I do flips, rolls and inverted. Then the last minute just fly around as it is down on power a little.

Don

Quote:
What kind of flight times are folks getting on the helimax BL setup with the 300mah nanotech batts?

One thing I like about the stock setup is at when I'm doing inverted hovering, slow piro, orientation, etc practice, I get surprisingly long flight times with the nanotech batts.
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in