Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

View Poll Results: Have you experienced resets with the 3GX
No resets with either JR/Spektrum radio 133 63.03%
No resets with Spektrum S Bus radio 16 7.58%
No resets with other radio system 21 9.95%
Resets with either JR/Spektrum radio 35 16.59%
Resets with Spektrum S Bus radio 1 0.47%
Resets with other radio system 10 4.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I picked one up off a freind when the new 550 V2s came out, installed it on my 550 V1, and flew 75 flights with it , my first fbl experience, and never had a single hiccup... now I just picked up a 600pro and will be using the 3GX with a WR Super Bec, not the 2 in 1
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using 550E V2 3GX with CC BEC PRO, two sattelite receivers connected directly to 3GX, TM1000 for telemetry hooked up on voltage and battery temp, voltage set to 5.5V, binded in DSM2 11ms with DX8.
No issues at all, flies like a charm. About 30 flights.
Luxo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also beginning to think my problem is power /heat related. Both my failures were on 100 degree days. The 450 pro V2 comes with a 2a built in BEC. I will be installing a CC 10a BEC. I haven't read about anyone having similar problems with their 450 pro V2. I've sent a couple emails to Align and am waiting a reply/ suggestion. I will write an update as soon as I have one.
photography_k is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by photography_k View Post
I'm also beginning to think my problem is power /heat related. Both my failures were on 100 degree days. The 450 pro V2 comes with a 2a built in BEC. I will be installing a CC 10a BEC. I haven't read about anyone having similar problems with their 450 pro V2. I've sent a couple emails to Align and am waiting a reply/ suggestion. I will write an update as soon as I have one.
Question , did you update to V1.1 ? And did you take the time to setup failsafe on your 3gx??
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 3GX was on V1.1 but I did not change any failsafe settings. What are the benefits of the failsafe feature?
photography_k is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by photography_k View Post
My 3GX was on V1.1 but I did not change any failsafe settings. What are the benefits of the failsafe feature?
Well there are more then one type of fail safe to choose from..
But the one I'm running,,, will keep my setting!!!!!!! And the motor will stop...!
There is one that will keep your setting and what ever you set your motor to run at...!!
Seems like a good idea not to have your setting change....! I don't know about the motor not running... ??
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the 550 3GX instructions it says for hold last position (except throttle which goes to bind position) unplug bind plug after binding (with power still on), and 3GX will initialise. To set all failsafe positions leave bind plug in and wait for sat lights to go solid.

I guess this only works on v1.1 software as I think it was one of the things they added.

I need to double check this works on mine, as I unplugged bind plug, but I'm pretty sure the sat lights were on solid (certainly didn't do it within 5 seconds) but the 3gx didn't initialise until after I pulled the bind plug, so a bit contradictory, also don't forget to use a high enough throttle to avoid soft start (if your ESC resets soft start on zero throttle like Castles) - nice thing about DX8 is you can bind with throttle hold up which I have set above the soft start point.

I guess if your doing the failsafe positions, you need to set zero pitch and no cyclic too ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110908Failsafe3GX.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	252105  
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

I really don't think I want my motor running?? So,, I have 0 throttle on mine.. I'm thinking about the motor going to full speed sitting on a bench very bad!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Problem with zero throttle will be if you hvae a radio hold in flight, and 3GX goes to failsafe, and radio link recovers a second later, if soft start cuts in you may still crash if your not quick enough/good enough to auto - if your above the soft start point motor will still stop in failsafe, but if you get radio link back the esc will spool up quickly so you can catch it.

I guess if your an expert it isn't an issue as you could auto from any situation with zero notice, but I'm not
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSat View Post
I think we need to use some common sense here and a professional approach to problem solve this issue. I find it difficult to take any of these trolls seriously when they spend more time complaining than problem solving.
So because someone's new whizz-bang FBL unit decided to do a hard reset, lose all it's settings and deposit their expensive new heli upside down in the dirt, this makes them a complaining troll?
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

It probably does if they are just bragging about vbar/beastx units which are fitted to all their heli's in .sig and have just come onto 3gx forum to troll
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb72 View Post
Problem with zero throttle will be if you hvae a radio hold in flight, and 3GX goes to failsafe, and radio link recovers a second later, if soft start cuts in you may still crash if your not quick enough/good enough to auto - if your above the soft start point motor will still stop in failsafe, but if you get radio link back the esc will spool up quickly so you can catch it.

I guess if your an expert it isn't an issue as you could auto from any situation with zero notice, but I'm not
I didn't think it would stop with like half throttle and that is what I think you would have to have to not be in soft start on electric setup??
Have you tested this at half stick throttle???
Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
I didn't think it would stop with like half throttle and that is what I think you would have to have to not be in soft start on electric setup??
Sorry, I was meaning with something like the castle ESC's which with auto mode ticked will only start motor around 13-17% throttle position, below that motor will stop, but Soft start only cuts in below 5% or so - so a throttle hold of 15% or so will stop motor but not cut into soft start.

I know the Align ESC will only go into soft start after 12?? seconds of low throttle so a brief hold wouldn't be an issue for that, and by then you've either started to auto or crashed anyway.

I guess other ESC's have a mixture of the above, so may not be needed.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trex 500
Align 3GX
RJX FBL head
Stock ESC (built-in BEC)
Stock Motor
2350mAh Zippy Batteries
Align CF blades
14t pinion

I devoted a whole day throwing around the Trex 500 with the newly installed 3GX unit. Overall it performed very well. There were a few moments when there were some unexpected flight characteristics .. but it was very gusty so hard to determine whether it was the wind or 3GX. Next weekend I will play around with the custom configs to refine the flight characteristics.

I was unable to get the 3GX to fail in-flight (I was trying my best to make it fail ). Even with deliberate head-bogging hard 3D, and extended flight times (until the battery voltage drooped) ---- No 3GX in-flight failures.

There were two occurrences upon power-up, the swash plate did not initialize level, and the swash movement was very notchy (not smooth etc). To resolve this, I just disconnected the main battery and then connected it again -- resolved -- very odd issue.

I believe this product has a lot of potential and it priced very competitively, but will wait till it the 3GX has matured before I purchase any further 3GX units. I just picked up a new V-Bar for my Trex700e -- I am not willing to risk my larger helis (and myself) with the 3GX unit at this stage.

Last edited by HeliSat; 09-14-2011 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: typo
HeliSat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cant knock the 3GX - mines on rails in a 450 pro and im nearly satisfied to place on some larger Heli's.

I had a couple of early "mishaps" but had i have followed the directions i wouldn't have -
ONLY EVER USE 2 SAT'S if using JR/Spektrum - V1.1 may be better - but in V1.0 a loss of signal resulted in a gyro recalibration - interesting to say the least - never did it again with 2 Satellites

Early high speed porpoising issues were easy enough to dial out on the PC but cant be via the gain dials

Rarely the pre-comp on the tail seems to be mildly inconsistent - but hardly problematic.

I prefer the feel of the 3GX to my Vbars - but maybe because the Vbars in all honesty were a little easier to set up and i fine tuned them less, but some of the threads showing settings should shorten the tuning process for people now.
MJ878 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxo View Post
I am using 550E V2 3GX with CC BEC PRO, two sattelite receivers connected directly to 3GX, TM1000 for telemetry hooked up on voltage and battery temp, voltage set to 5.5V, binded in DSM2 11ms with DX8.
No issues at all, flies like a charm. About 30 flights.
What port did you connect the tm1000 to?
raitheslacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly v1.2 with ATX (Airtronics) SD-10g on a 500e and a simple RX600. Not a single reset or glitch in flight, however we're solid down to 2.8 volts unlike some other mfgs.

But (there's always a BUT)... and I've said this in other 3GX threads, the Align SW looks like a child's project and leaves us guessing.

The competition is soooo refined and smooth.

But no, not a single reset with Airtronics.
JasonA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have over 20 flights now on 3 different helis w/ 3GX an thankfully, no failures.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have upgraded all mine to v1.2 now. Still no issues to date. Very happy with the feel of v1.2

Just setup my trex700e with the 3gx. Using my existing Turnigy 15A BEC and 2200mAh 2S lipo, I am virtually able to stall all the servos by exerting force on the swash & rudder -- without causing any brown-outs. The wires on this BEC are much thicker than the stock Align BEC. I have been using this BEC for nearly 2 years - good price, and it's rock solid. It comes with two power connectors, so one is connected to the BATT port, the other to the BIND port.

Going by Futaba specifications, each hi-torque servo (generally) pulls 1.6A when stalled. Therefore your worst case will be 6.4amps for 4 servos + FBL current consumption. Another thing to consider .. each connector is only rated to 5A, therefore I recommend having 2 plugs connected from the BEC -- this will reduce the electrical resistance from BEC to 3GX.
HeliSat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did anybody find a solution to the reset problem. I was hovering my 550 fbl and also had a reset in mid air as I was about to land the heli. Tail swing around and the heli fell over as it hits the ground. The helli almost swing right into me.When testing the heli the aileron swash movement was reversed. This happened after 3 min in flight.I think Align must please just tell us what condition can cause the 3gx to change settings. I simmulate a low battery condition and manage a continious reboot but could not manage to reset the 3gx unit settings.
Power: 1600mah 2s Lipo
Align 6A regulator
Spectrum DX2 7ch Receiver
JBP550 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in